Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 17th, 2015 13:00

AC power adapter type cannot be determined - Inspiron 1545

Hi. I have an Inspiron 1545 here in front of me, running Windows 7. BIOS updated.

I have an old replacement 65w AC adapter that works fine, but I had it replaced due to wear and tear caused by moving to and fro.

I ordered (from a 3rd party seller) 2 replacement adapters (to cut back on travel). They are the exact same Dell models as the old replacement with the same product number.

The problem is that when I plug in either new AC adapter, I get the dreaded message: 

"The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge. This problem might be solved by:
-Ensure the plug is inserted completely for the best system operation
-Connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or higher." 

The adapters' blue light comes on and the laptop will run on the AC power but doesn't charge the battery. It's a 1-2 month old battery and it works great. My old AC adapter still works fine. I get no error message and it charges the battery. 

It seems to me like a bad product that should be returned/exchanged. Am I right, or does this problem go deeper?

May 21st, 2015 14:00

Thank you again for the help, but I decided to ask the seller for replacement adapters first because it cost me nothing. Figured if they didn't work I'd look at the DC jack next. Luckily, these new adapters work. Maybe they had the other 2 mislabeled.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 18th, 2015 04:00

While it could be the adapters, it's more likely that if two of them don't work, the DC jack is the problem.

< >

That part can be replaced by changing this small circuit board.

May 18th, 2015 12:00

Thanks for the answer.  So even though the DC jack has no problem with the old adapter, it's still the more likely problem? 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 18th, 2015 13:00

It is more likely the jack but check the new adapters  to make sure the center pin is straight and intact.  That's the contact that allows the system to identify the AC adapter.

No Events found!