Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2012 03:00

C810 mouse problem after bios reset

Hello

I've searched thru the forums and other help, but can't seem to find an answer, so I hope someone will be able to help.

I have a Latitude C810 laptop - yes, I know it's old, but it still works very well for what I use it for,

It's set up to dual-boot either Windows XP Pro orUbuntu, and until yesterday I had no problems at all.

However, I took out the removeable battery, and when I replaced it and powered on, I was warned that the date and time had been reset.  So my assumption is that the BIOS backup battery is done, and the BIOS config had been reset.

After powering on and booting, I discovered that the touchpad was no longer working, whereas it had been ok prior to the BIOS reset.

Using Windows XP, I could use only an external PS/2 mouse, but not the touchpad.  Using Ubuntu, I could use neither the external PS/2 mouse nor the touchpad (I could use an external USB mouse though).

So, it's not an operating system driver problem, I'm assuming it's a BIOS config problem - but what setting was changed?

I have the mouse bios setting set to "Touchpad - PS/2 Mouse" so I assume that's the setting to allow either/both.  But it still doesn't work./

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading!

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 05:00

Hi ken4lv,

Welcome to the Community,

BIOS settings for the Pointing Device should be Touchpad - PS/2 Mouse,so you've got that right.Since Touchpad is not working both in the XP  and the Ubuntu environment,it could be a loose connection with the flex cable under the palmrest which connects to the Touchpad connector on the system board.

So try reseating that flex cable under the palmrest.Use the pull loop to disconnect the palmrest flex cable from the touch- pad connector on the system board and than reconnect it to make sure its connected properly.

For help refer to this  Owners Manual (Palmrest Assembly):

support.dell.com/.../2e40520.htm

Hope this helps,

Thank You

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 07:00

Hello Roshan,

That fixed it, thanks.  Also, thanks for the fast reply and the perfect amount of detail in the response.

Best regards

ken4lv 

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 08:00

Glad it got fixed.Its great to know you're still using and taking care of this system.

No Events found!