Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

70 Posts

November 28th, 2006 01:00

CURE For Latitude Power Jack Design flaw Failure ! (sort of ).

I bought a Latitude D510 for my daughter last year when she went to college.
I liked it so much I bought myself one for home so I wouldn't have to haul my old Dell Inspiron back from work. Alas, they have a design flaw. From reading the forums, These latitude D series have a high rate of power jack failure.
So Dell doesn't sell the power Jacks. They want to sell you a $600 motherboard. I only paid $777 delivered for my daughters Dell from the Dell business catalog..

I bought a power jack online for $30. Mistake I think. I watched a guy replace a motherboard Friday and thought....what are the odds. I can do that..then solder on this jack without damaging the motherboard.   And if I do it okay, how long will it last.?
I also read about a place in Calf that you send your Dell to and for $200 they will replace the power jack. Again..how long will that last.

So decided I have the answer.

Replicator.  (docking station)  Under $100. brand new on Ebay. It will charge the Latitude D series batteries...
Okay so it turns the notebook into being portable for only 3 hours with a good battery....but otherwise these beautiful 14 month old Dells are near worthless.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 28th, 2006 10:00

Most Latitudes are sold with 3-year warranties, so they're covered for failure for 36 months.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 28th, 2006 12:00

I've never seen a business or academic organization buy notebooks without a 3-year warranty.

Stats say 20% of all notebooks will require a major repair within 3 years - that's 1 in 5; the extended warranty usually costs on the order of $120 or so for 3-years, where it's not standard.

Given that notebook repairs routinely run $500 and up, and that 1/5 will need a major repair, a 3-year warranty is a must on them, unless you self-insure for that repair bill.

70 Posts

November 28th, 2006 12:00

Where do you get your stats ? Every consumers article I read about extended warrenties is.."dont".

So I guess my Power Jack Cure is for us poor slobs that only had a one year warrenty.. or in the future for the folks with 3 year warrenties.

70 Posts

November 28th, 2006 15:00

Schools and Business's are a different class then
us poor working slobs that have 2 kids , a wife and myself to buy computers for.
in the last 2 years I bought 4 computers. at $150 each for extended warrenties I could replace one.
My point was maybe I can help someone with my cure. Thats my intention. less than  $100 and one can charge thier power jack failured Dell. 

4.2K Posts

November 30th, 2006 08:00

Hi,

I think your point is taken, it has come up before, like changing the socket. If my Dell had an issue, I would fit a different connection. The full warranty is like insurance, peace of mind. I insure my house and cars, the car I can easily replace, not the house. With 3 years, you know how much to own it till it needs replacing, given typical life cycles.

Regards Chris

70 Posts

November 30th, 2006 11:00

Thanks Aussie- the Monday morning quarterbacks are quick to have thier say in "should have's".

i paid for a docking station for my D510 last night.
Under $50 delivered brand new. with charger.

Anyone want to buy a power jack ? The one I paid $30 for and chickened out when thinking of the installation.

Message Edited by sdanville on 11-30-200607:37 AM

4.2K Posts

December 1st, 2006 08:00

Hi,

You will find most regulars will suggest going for the biggest warranty. My Dell came at retail, and has never had a problem. Maybe football is easier than computers.

Regards Chris

70 Posts

December 1st, 2006 12:00

I wonder what the ratio is between us irregulars that come here when we need help vs. the regulars.

I understand the thinking.
Personally if I would have taken all the extended warranties I've been offered through the years..I'd have thousands less in the bank.
One of my Dells is under the Gold warranty until 2009. I bought it used with a trasferable warrenty. A Dell tech replaced the motherboard and came to my office to do it. Without the warranty it would have been a parts computer.

4.2K Posts

December 1st, 2006 19:00

Hi,

A Lap-top is the exception. The 2 parts that are most likely to fail, are the LCD and the MBD. Both expensive, and not a generic part like a HDD. I agree about some warranties, such as some car warranty extensions. The complete care is what I would recommend, for a Dell. It sounds like you took a chance and went for the short warranty, but if you havn't spent those thousands on others, you are still ahead.

Your point about the ratio ?

Regards Chris

70 Posts

December 1st, 2006 19:00

I think i was just referring to the quest for an answer on what percentage of Dells are sold with extended warranties.
Maybe I will google the question and post here later.

No Events found!