Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2012 15:00

DELL INSPIRON N5040 ERROR CODE 2000-0142 HDD ERROR.

im an owner of a dell inspiron n5040 and im having the error code 2000-0142 on my laptop,

i was wondering if it was possible for someone to check out what problem causes my laptop to not work properly.

NEED ANY SUGGESTIONS. THANK YOU

Hi dell computer owner

Welcome to the community.

Sometime your Operating System can have some corruptions which might lead to this error code.

Please follow the following diagnostics.

• Power on the system

• Tap F12 key (couple of times)

• It would give you an option to run the diagnostics for the Hard drive, highlight the option for hard drive and hit the enter key

If the hard drive gives 0142, 0146, 0143 it might be a hard drive issue and you might have to replace the hard drive.

Thank You

Naveen

Dell |Social Media Outreach| Global Social Media Community

Hi dell computer owner,

Welcome to the Community.

The error message that you are referring to, is a Dell onboard diagnostics error. As per this error message, the hard drive of your laptop has failed & requires replacement. Please refer to the below link for the entire list of diagnostics error:

http://dell.to/fSnjb7  

If your unit is covered under hardware warranty, Dell will replace the hard drive for you under the warranty. You can click on the below link & enter the service tag of your system to check the warranty status of your system:

http://dell.to/zEE2Cm

If you have an active warranty, send me a private message, by clicking on my username, add me as a friend & send me your service tag, phone no & address. Alternatively, you may contact Dell tech support by calling 1-877-293-1197 or via chat: www.dell.com/gotochat.  

Please post back if the above post helps you or if you need any other help.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2013 18:00

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 58853

Msg HDD 0 -SN WD - wxk1a51e8725 Status = 3

Why are there so many drives failing on the N5040 ? Was it just a bad lot or is there some other issues going on that Dell is keeping quiet ?

Rick561

1.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 00:00

Hi Rick561,

Hard drive being a mechanical component may fail due to many possible reasons.

If the system is under warranty, you may private message me the service tag of your computer. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with information. 

1 Message

May 18th, 2016 03:00

Error code 200-0142

Validation 6925

msg: hard drive 0 - S/n RB250AMGPGRAP. status = 7

my laptop is n5040! help!

No Events found!