Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2015 15:00

Dell Inspiron 1545; Black Screen - No bootable devices, computer isn't reading my hard drive

I have a dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop and when I turn it on a black screen pops up saying "internal for multi core processors will be disabled" "No bootable devices-- strike F1 to retry boot. F2 for setup utility. Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics." When I press F1 the same message pops up. When I press F5 it will run the test and everything passes. Except it says Msg: Hard a drive - no hard drive detected I have already taken the hard drive out and placed it back in "reseating it" but that didn't fix the problem. When I press F2 and go to setting, general, system info, my hard drive appears under "primary hard drive" I don't know what I should do. Should I buy a new hard drive? And then take my old hard drive to a place to get all my old data off of it? I have read a lot of forms online, youtube and Google and a lot of people have the same problem with no solution. I can not get to safe mode or get to my desktop in windows. Thanks for the help!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 30th, 2015 23:00

Hi Cbours,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and start the computer.

Also, I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults.

1. Reboot the computer.
  2. When prompted during POST, press the key to enter the setup screen.
  3. On the System Setup screen, press the key.
  4. Press the key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

3 Posts

May 31st, 2015 14:00

Dell-Ravi

Should I back up my hard drive before I do this? This process won't delete anything off of it right?

Thankyou for the response

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 31st, 2015 15:00

If you do not have a backup of the data on the drive, the very first thing to do is make one, NOW.  Remove the drive and mount it in an external case -- connect it to a  working system by USB and back up your data.

There is a very good chance the drive is failing -- you will need that backup sooner rather than later.

Once the data is backed up, you can proceed with the rest of the instructions.

No Events found!