Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2013 19:00

Dell Inspiron 17R update from 60Hz to 120Hz for 3D on Windows8

I bought this laptop specifically to use for 3D development and made sure to get the nVidia GT650M to assist in this. I just got my nVidia Vision 2 kit and successfully upgraded the nVidia drivers from their site. However when I go into the monitor settings I am only given an option for 60Hz; there is no option to switch to 120Hz. I am unable to locate a driver update to assist in this. I used Dell's update for the GT650M but it's the same as what I installed from nVidia.

Where can I get a driver to update to 120Hz?

272 Posts

February 4th, 2013 11:00

I have a 17R myself the SE 7720 version, you are aware that there are a few versions of this units being sold by Dell, where some units are specifically designed for 3D use while others like mine, even though I have a NVidia GT650M like you, will not support 3D, There are version for the 17R SE 7720 that do, I just didn't opt to purchase the unit with 3D support.

I'm pretty sure that the different unit versions in question use different LCD panels,  and have a 3D infrared transmitter near the top by the Web Cam.  

You might want to check to insure that the exact model version you have was designed for 3D.

Cheers

3 Posts

February 4th, 2013 20:00

Thanks for that CyberMax

The main requirement for 3D display by a monitor is to be able to refresh at 120Hz. My laptop was advertised as a 120Hz monitor, which baffles my why it came set only at 60Hz.

The display qualities of the monitor being matte or glossy are a user preference for 3D, or in this case a manufacturer's preference.  This attribute was not advertised by Dell when I bought it online.

I was hoping to get some Dell tech advise on this matter via my Service Tag, as others have received here.  Looks like I'll have to attempt a service call. Trouble with this I've had in the past is that it takes several attempts to get someone on the other end who understands me and my issue, I can understand their English and they have the knowledge to solve my issue or put me onto next level support that can.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2013 20:00

Had a successful call with tech support, had it sorted within 30 minutes, but sadly can't fix my issue!  The monitor is not capable of supporting anything other than 60Hz for a refresh rate. I feel quite mislead by Dell on this and baffled why they would put a 3D graphics card into a laptop with a monitor that won't support it. The displayed specs were similar to what others were enjoying 3D with.  I just wish Dell had an icon for their 3D ready systems or unique model numbers for ones that are, rather than sharing model numbers. It's a fairly major difference.

Another expensive valuable lesson learned.

272 Posts

February 10th, 2013 20:00

@MickHazzon - one thing I have noticed at least on my 17R SE 7720 is the following:

Under Computer Management -> Device Manager -> Monitors:  It's showing as Generic PnP Monitor instead of actually naming the Monitor.

I thought (at least windows XP back in the day LOL) if you installed the correct driver for the monitor you would be able to select the correct refresh rates and resolutions.  I think with Generic you may get stuck with 60hz... maybe this is this issue? 

I honestly don't know the brand monitor in my 17R SE 7720 (wish I did, don't know what tool would show this other then a screw driver to open it and look) but reading around on the internet I know of at least 3 possible ones installed from different OEMS that Dell is using in the 17R SE Line.

92 Posts

February 10th, 2013 22:00

There is a way to check .  Left click properties on "Generic PnP Monitor", choose Properties tab,  click on Property down arrow to choose "hardware lds",  and you will get :

MONITOR\CMN1720

which means the Chi Mei 1720 LCD panel.  The 2nd possibility is LG LCD. Here is some comparison. Google "CMN1720 LCD"

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-inspiron-dell-studio/675037-dell-17r-n7720-se-user-review-171-print.html

I don't know where I first came across this but I was happy the black screen glare was not on my screen mentioned by some. Downside is CMN1720 uses dithering to achieve more colors limited by the bit depth but some unusual  people have a short persistence in their brain and can see the flicker. (higher brain clock rate?)

272 Posts

February 10th, 2013 23:00

Thanks Bill, It dawned on me after I posted to click thru properties and drill down to hardware Ids after I posted - I found the 3rd this is mine.

Monitor\AUO159E   AU Optronics something direct off a Chinese boat I presume.

Only thing that bothers me with my monitor is the backlighting or something which causes what I think should be black more like a glowing grey. :( I Need to monkey around with Contrast, Brightness, Gamma see if I can get it toned down a bit.

6 Posts

November 1st, 2016 13:00

I am using 7720 without 3D. If I change screen to 3d support lcd screen, can I use 3d vision ?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 1st, 2016 14:00

Not without also changing the mainboard and wiring harness, both of which are required for 3D - see your other post thread.

6 Posts

November 1st, 2016 16:00

thanks ejn63

No Events found!