Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2013 10:00

Dell Wireless 5570 - problem with linux.

Hi,

im fighting with run this modem (original name MC8805 from Sierra Wireless)  under linux (Ubuntu 12.04), Kernel 3.11.7 with small modification - added ID product ID and vendor ID to the sierra.c driver and now i see the ttyUSB* devices corectly. But.

Modem starts in low power mode (forced by BIOS?) - flag triggered to 1:

at!pcinfo show:

State: LowPowerMode
LPM force flags - W_DISABLE:0, User:0, Temp:0, Volt:0
LPM force flags - BIOS:1, GOBIIM:0, IM_AttachDelay:0
W_DISABLE: 0
Poweroff mode: 0
LPM Persistent: 0   

but i have on the same laptop Windows 7 - and when i first boot windows 7 system and do soft reboot and boot linux again the modem works:

State: Online
LPM force flags - W_DISABLE:0, User:0, Temp:0, Volt:0
LPM force flags - BIOS:0, GOBIIM:0, IM_AttachDelay:0
W_DISABLE: 0
Poweroff mode: 0
LPM Persistent: 0

So i think that windows driver sends some command/signal to modem for wake up? What it can be?

When the modem is in LowPowerMode when im trying to mage AT+CFUN=1 gives me error.

My laptop is Dell E7240. I have two latptops with this cards and problem is the same.

I updated the bios for the laptops to A06, problem exists still.

1 Message

February 9th, 2015 05:00

The Dell-branded Sierra Wireless modems can be brought out of the low-power mode using the "FCC Auth" QMI command (DMS service, 0x555F), supported now in libqmi and ModemManager git master. See:

https://sigquit.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/dell-branded-sierra-wireless-3g4g-modem-not-online/

If your modem is exposed as an MBIM device, try to switch it to USB configuration #1, which is likely the QMI configuration.

January 31st, 2014 07:00

Same problem here with a Precision M4800 and BIOS A06

I'm on kernel 3.13.0-5 and get a wwan0 device

but can't  use it either.

wwan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 76:89:47:53:a2:55  
          BROADCAST NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

mbim-network /dev/cdc-wdm0 start
Querying subscriber ready status 'mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --query-subscriber-ready-status --no-close'...
error: couldn't open the MbimDevice: Failure

Querying registration state 'mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --query-registration-state --no-open= --no-close'...
error: invalid transaction ID specified:

Attaching to packet service with 'mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --attach-packet-service --no-open= --no-close'...
Starting network with 'mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --connect= --no-open= --no-close'...
Network start failed

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

April 8th, 2014 21:00

Another disappointed customer here. Running on 3.14.0 and people have not been able to figure out how to power it up. Spending nearly 2K on a Dell laptop with this E7440, I really expect some effort by Dell in getting us some information on how to get the card going.

1 Message

June 11th, 2014 10:00

Same problem with en e7240. I got this card 5570 to solve all my dongle problems.

Now I can see  a wwan0 but not use it.

surajitray@Surajit-AMHI:~$ sudo mbim-network /dev/cdc-wdm2 start
Querying subscriber ready status 'mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm2 --query-subscriber-ready-status --no-close'...

Querying registration state 'mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm2 --query-registration-state --no-open= --no-close'...

Attaching to packet service with 'mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm2 --attach-packet-service --no-open= --no-close'...
Starting network with 'mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm2 --connect= --no-open= --no-close'...
Network start failed

surajitray@Surajit-AMHI:~$ sudo mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm2 --query-device-caps

1 Message

August 4th, 2014 16:00

Has there been any update on this?  I still cannot get the modem to work even with the new kernel 3.16.   Can anyone at dell chime in on a solution?

August 4th, 2014 23:00

I've replaced the Dell 5570 (a.k.a. Sierra Wireless MC8805) with a

Sierra Wireless MC7710.

The MC7710 has been working flawlessly out of the box under

Linux and Windows with my Dell Precision M4800

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

August 5th, 2014 01:00

I switched mine with Dell 5530, the Ericsson F5321. Also works fine.

No Events found!