Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2011 06:00

E6240 memory upgrade, which screws?

I just bought a Latitiude E6420 and want to upgrade the memory.  The instructions are not yet available at http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late6420/en/index.htm.  The memory panel on the back isn't obvious so I'm wondering which screws need to come out to access the memory slot? Do I have to pull of the whole back, ie the D screws? There are also 2 screws on either side of the docking port that could be memory related.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 07:00

Remove the entire bottom panel to access the memory (and other internal components)

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

May 7th, 2011 11:00

Hi,

I've had two E6420s. the first (from my office) I removed the D screws and the bottom came right off. Mine, which I'm looking at, I removed the D screws and the front is still locked down - I can flex most of the bottom but the front seems to have a screw I'm missing. Is there a trick to removing the bottom panel?

Thanks,

Mark

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 7th, 2011 11:00

On the E-series, the entire bottom panel needs to be removed.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

May 7th, 2011 12:00

Hi,

I guess the question is how to achieve that. As noted one of my E6420s was trivial, the other has something holding the front of the bottom plate down that I don't see. I've taken out all 9 screws from the bottom and the front of the bottom plate still seems to be stuck. Thanks,

Mark

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

May 7th, 2011 15:00

I've resolved this. It appears that after complaints about a 'floppy bottom' the latest 'engineering change' uses a piece of double-sided tape to stick the bottom panel on to the laptop. End result is that it's a lot harder to take the bottom off (the first time).

Mark

No Events found!