Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2016 09:00

Inspiron 14 How to Free C Drive Disk Space

I just bought my Inspiron 14 with Windows 10 installed on it 4 months ago.  The capacity of my C drive is 28 GB and there is already almost no space left on my C drive.  I cannot even install my Windows 10 update at this point.  I have almost no files stored on the hard drive or photos (less than half a GB for both combined).  I need some advice of how to free up some C drive space-any advice.  I am at my wits end about what steps to take.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 4th, 2017 11:00

The software distribution folder is where Windows Update stores files.  You can clear it but must stop the WIndows update service first.

answers.microsoft.com/.../8d98d924-b0b1-4f2b-bb4b-13f38126c588

You should also make your recovery media and delete the factory restore image.

By doing both you'll free up enough space to keep the system running for its intended purpose - essentially a browser tablet.  It's never going to stand up to running applications because of the small size of the eMMC drive (which can't be upgraded), though you CAN add an SD card to keep your data files off the boot drive.

These systems are essentially Windows versions of Chromebooks - they're not designed for use as full blown Windows notebooks.

44 Posts

June 4th, 2017 11:00

So you can't enlarge the C partition?  28GB for a Win10 C drive is just too small.  You're trying to jam a size 9 foot into a size 5 shoe - it isn't going to work.

No Events found!