Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

19 Posts

January 12th, 2004 16:00

Is There Any Way To Overclock Your Pentium M? (inp 8600)

Yes, I know this will void any warranty I have; but Im curious, is there any type of software program that will adjust the FSB or multiplier for you?

Similar to powerstrip for the Mobility 9600?

I know this lil 1.4 can hit alot higher!!

thanks for any info.....

2.2K Posts

January 12th, 2004 22:00

You can't overclock it whilst still using the Dell BIOS from my knowledge, as Dell locks the options of changing the multiplier and FSB to prevent overclocking that may destroy parts of the computer (and cost them money in warrenty replacements).

If you somehow found a different BIOS that worked with your i8600, and had these options unlocked then you may be able to do this.... but it would be hard to find such a BIOS. 

But I strongly discourage you from even trying it, it is a very bad idea to overclock the processor in a laptop as there is insufficient airflow and cooling as it is without adding more heat.... its just asking for trouble. If you want to do this, prepare for the eventuality that you may end up with a very expensive paperweight in place of a working computer.

The only overclocking I would ever endorse on a laptop is some slight tweaking of a graphics cards clock speeds... but nothing major.

stu

19 Posts

January 13th, 2004 00:00

point taken.

thread closed.

thanks

No Events found!