Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

GF

August 22nd, 2016 18:00

Issue updating BIOS from Dos using bootable USB

Hello All,

I have found myself in a tough situation - hoping someone can help!

I have an Inspiron 15R SE 7520 and my current BIOS version is A07.

I have tried upgrading to the newer versions (A10 or A11), however due to non-charging battery problems I cannot do it on Windows as battery power is below 10%.

Using the instructions provided to install for non-Windows users from DOS using a bootable usb, when I try to load the 7520A11.EXE all I get is "Test." and nothing happens. I also tried adding '/forceit' after the command but still no luck.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,

Gergo

• 

17K Posts

August 24th, 2016 08:00

GERGO.FULOP, 

Unfortunately, this will not work on your computer. You run Windows instead of DOS. If you need a new battery you can contact Dell Spare Parts Department at 1-877-717-3355 or try looking on the internet. You can try the discount electronics at the link below.

Discount Electronics

August 24th, 2016 09:00

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for the response - fortunately I was sharp enough and though of it myself as well.

Unfortunately as I placed the brand new battery in my laptop I was happy to see that it is charging, so I decided to follow the instructions shown on the battery to allow it to drain to 2% and the fully recharge to 100%.

Which I did - only issue was that when I restarted the laptop with the battery at 2% and plugged in the charger it would suddenly not charge.

And now I am stuck with a new battery that is discharged and no alternative laptop to charge it in.

It's sad though that the installer of the 5720A11 clearly states it is for both Windows or DOS installers and instructions clearly state it should be working from a bottable USB that has FreeDos on it.

Kind of misleading wouldn't you agree?

Any additional help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 24th, 2016 09:00

Is the AC adapter recognized, or unknown (F2 at powerup to check).

If it's showing as unknown, and you're trying to fix that with a BIOS update, it's not going to work.  You have a hardware problem with the adapter, DC jack or mainboard -- replace those parts in that order until the adapter is recognized.

No Events found!