Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

February 13th, 2004 01:00

My dell latitude has a severe attitude.

to whomever is the dell latitude god, i have a latitude d300, 6.1g hard drive, 64mb ram. everytime i get on to the system, 9 times out of 10 when it gets to the desktop screen while booting it will shutoff. sometimes it will bootup all of the way and when i make it do something, even something as small as run the mouse pointer across the keyboard, it will shutoff. but it will just stay on the desktop without moving anything forever. weird. so I started eliminating common issues. it had ME in it, we all know ME IS NOT WORTH ANYTHING anyways so i reformatted and tried to install XP, well the laptop would not stay on long enough for the 40 minute install process for xp. so i ditched that idea and tried 98, well i had the same problem. so that eliminated OS issues. so i replaced and reformatted the hard drive, tried all 3 OS again, it took 98 with no problem, but it still turns itself off all of the time. so then i started removing external accessories and different combos, all failed...... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS.

3.2K Posts

February 13th, 2004 10:00

It sound like a heat problem. you need to check to make sure the fan is clear of dust and that it runs.

4K Posts

February 14th, 2004 03:00

64mb is not enough RAM for W-XP, but it is adequate for W98. It could be a sick RAM Module. You could stand another 64mb anyway, so buy another 64mb EDO SODIMM and try it alone, and also with your present Module. See what happens. With 64mb, W98 should work OK, as long as you don't try to run too much at the same time and drive the resources too low. It is better with 128mb.

February 15th, 2004 18:00

WELL, THAT IS INTERESTING, RAM BEING THE ISSUE, IT MAKES SENSE THOUGH BECAUSE IT REALLY ONLY DOES IT WHEN IT IS THINKING, IE.. WHEN A PROGRAM IS BEING LOADED OR WHEN YOU CLOSE A LOT OF WINDOWS AT THE SAME TIME.  THE FAN IS CLEAN AND CLEAR AND IT WORKS, SO IT IS NOT OVERHEATING, THE MOTHERBOARD IS FREE OF DUST, THE ONLT TWO THINGS I CAN THINK OF IS THE PROCESSOR OR THE RAM. I WILL TRY IT.

February 15th, 2004 21:00

WHY WONT 256 RAM WORK IN MY LATITUDE.

LATITUDE CPi D300XT

4K Posts

February 15th, 2004 23:00

2-128mb EDO 144pin Non Parity SODIMMs are required for the 256mb maximum. Nothing else will work, they are not too common and usually expensive. No PC*** SDRAM anything will work in this model. The CPiA-which was a later model-was the 1st SDRAM Dell Latitude.

February 16th, 2004 02:00

HEY THANKS MAN, DO U KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SOME OF THIS RAM. NO ONE SEEMS TO HAVE IT.

4K Posts

February 16th, 2004 03:00

Look at System Properties reached by right clicking My Computer/Properties  and then click the Performance Tab. Click the Virtual Memory Button and make sure the "Let Windows Manage my Virtual Memory Settings" is dotmarked.

WELL ALL, MY IRITATION LEVEL HAS REACHED AN ALL TIME HIGH. I JUST TURNED ON MY LAPTOP, RAN A VIRUS SCAN AND RIGHT BEFORE IT FINISHED THE LAPTOP TURNED OFF. I AM AT WITTS END WITH THIS. YOU ARE ALL PROBABLY THINKING JUST CHUNK IT, BUT I JUST CANT, THERE HAS TO BE A LOGICAL REASON FOR THIS.

THE FAN IS RUNNING

IT IS NOT DIRTY

I DO NOT KNOW IF THE RAM IS BAD, I DONT KNOW HOW TO CHECK IT

IT DOES SEEM AS THOUGH IT IS OVERHEATING, BUT IT IS NOT HOT.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY OF THE RAM I NEED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND MAYBE WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT

4K Posts

Sometimes on Ebay. Type and enter 128mb EDO CPi in the search slot on Ebay's home page and then look for Memory Upgrades in the left column. You can also try 128mb EDO SODIMM. It usually goes for  about $55-75 per module used. There are 4 on the Ebay now.Numbers 3459921607, 3460132283, 3460688789,  and 3460697725; some seem a little high.

Message Edited by leduke30 on 02-15-2004 11:28 PM

6 Posts

February 18th, 2004 16:00

I am just beginning to look at my problem but it sounds similar. My Dell latitute D266XT wont boot up with the battery installed. It works OK with the battery unplugged. The battery is known good (works in other PCs).

On pushing the power button, the led's come on for about 4 seconds and then everything shuts off. It doesnt last long enough to see the screen. I unplug the battery and it boots up fine and runs ok.

John

February 18th, 2004 23:00

HEY MAN, MINE DID THAT WHEN I WAS EXPERIMENTING WITH OTHER NOTEBOOK MEMORY, IT DID IT ALL OF THE TIME WHEN I HAD THE WRONG MEMORY IN  IT... DOUBLE CHECK YOUR MEMORY .

4K Posts

February 19th, 2004 01:00

What BIOS version are you using? I recommend LCPI_A12 if you are not already using it.

February 19th, 2004 03:00

WHAT IS THAT BIOS AND HOW DO I CK AND SEE IF I HAVE THAT. HOW DO I GET IT IF I DONT

6 Posts

February 19th, 2004 17:00

It just started having boot problems, been working years before, and I didnt change memory or anything.

Yep, My bios is A12. (check it by hitting F2 during boot-up).

I found that it worked OK if I put the battery in the right bay , but not the left bay. So I concluded the left battery connector was bad. I took it ALL apart and cleaned the dust and junk off the solder joints on the battery connector on the sytem board. I also re-soldered the solder joints.

Now it works OK. I think I was lucky this time.

267 Posts

February 20th, 2004 22:00

most likely this is a heat problem. Or it's a power problem. Faulty ram will not cause it to shut down and power off unless it is shorting the system. Which any single component will have an equal chance of doing. Can you turn it back on immediately after it powers off or do you have to wait awhile?
No Events found!