Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 6th, 2011 11:00

Replacing HDD with SDD

Hi everyone,

I purchased a Dell XPS 15z and have an OCZ Vertex 3 i wanted to put in it. I have gotten mixed answers from Dell representatives so I was wondering if anybody had any personal experience. I want to know if replacing the hard drive in the 15z voids the warranty since you have to remove the whole bottom of the computer to gain access to the hard drive. Also, if i can replace the hard drive, if i can buy discs to recover the dell install on the SSD even though it is not the original Dell drive. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

If you clone the dell drive to the SSD then dell recovery might work.

installing an SSD means you should turn DISABLE  the following services

Indexing,  superfetch, prefetch, defrag, ready boost, virtual memory, system restore.

INTEL Retail Drives come with "tools" to "Optimize" your drive for SSD.

Lots more things to do if its XP and XP does not support TRIM.

Making XP pro SSD friendly

The recovery partition takes 10 to 12 gigs.

The diag partition is usually 50 megs fat16 or less.

Both are at the start of the drive.  Ignore drive lettering as this is not the layout but rather the Drive letter assignments.

14.4K Posts

July 6th, 2011 12:00

Replacing the hdd will not void your warranty but of course it would not cover the replaced hdd. Dell should still give you support as long as you run win 7 on your system.

I have an asus laptop that a put an SSD in and the recover would not work so what i did was use my black Windows 7 install from the desktop i built and just used the product key from the laptop. Would this be alright with the dell, and then just install all the dell drivers and applications. The xps comes with windows 7, and as far as the warranty goes, do you know if replacing the drive will void the warranty?

Okay. Thats what i figured. I thought is was ridiculous that some represetatives were saying it would void the warranty. I understand that the laptop is thin but the HDD is something commonly replaced. And i could care less about the warranty on the HDD. Okay. Thanks guys. Ill make sure to turn off all the features that speedstep mentioned so i dont kill the SSD in a month and now i dont have to worry about the warranty. Thanks again!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Replacing the drive does not void the warranty.  HOWEVER if you break things or lose a screw inside that shorts out the board or otherwise break memory sockets etc this is not covered.  Nor are any parts that did not come with the machine that you added after-wards.

No Events found!