Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2012 09:00

Webcam problem

Hi ,

I am having a problem with my webcam. Whenever i  want to use it , i keep getting a message "Your webcam may be used by another application" . I have tried to disable the remote assistant but it doesnt help. 

I am using Windows 7 64-bit operating system with Fast Access(Facial Recognition Software)

I'd very appreciated if you can help

Cheers,

tracy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 26th, 2012 10:00

Tracy,

You have to give Fast Acess a chance to allow the switch to the program you're using.

A good article to read is...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Rick

April 26th, 2012 21:00

Hi Rick,

I have tried the 2 ways that are suggested from the article

1. Change the compatibility setting of the Dell webcam central software to Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).

2. Uninstall and Reinstall the webcam driver

However, i still get the same message

I also figure that the Facial Recognition is disable , i tried to click "enable" it but nothing happen. Can you help me . Thank you very much

Cheers,

Tracy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 26th, 2012 22:00

Tracy,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

Start, all programs, FastAccess Facial Recognition, Configure FastAccess

You can configure Fast Access from there.

Did you try installing this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central

Try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Does the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is your computer under warranty?

Rick

April 27th, 2012 10:00

Hi Rick,

Dell Webcam Central is already installed in my lap. I have not reinstalled the system lately

I have tried to run the Webcam Diagnostics and no error messages " No problems with the system..... ". Even there no sign of the  webcam in the list of all device. Is it mean my webcam is broken ??

Unfortunately, the warranty just ended last month, I hope u can help me .

Cheers,

Tracy

211 Posts

April 27th, 2012 10:00

Hi Tracy. Depending on what security mode you have selected, FastAccess can track your face after login for many purposes (security, automatic switching between users, energy savings, etc.). If you're in FastAccess's "User Switching" or "Continuous Security" modes, then FastAccess will continue using the integrated camera after login. To allow other video programs to continue to function, FastAccess creates a "virtual camera" called "faCap".

Question - what specific video program are you having difficulty with?

To start, I recommend opening the video program that's not working and checking to see which camera it has selected. Most programs will automatically select the "first available" camera which will work perfectly regardless of the FastAccess security mode. Some, however, do not and you may need to manually select either the integrated camera (if FastAccess is in "Face Login" mode) or faCap (if FastAccess is in User Switching or Continuous Security modes).

Here are some FAQs that go into more detail, though I'd be happy to help further either here or if you want to write to us at   dellsupport at sensiblevision dot com.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 27th, 2012 12:00

Tracy,

Is the webcam listed in the symptom tree, when you ran the Webcam Diagnostics?

If not, there can be an issue with the webcam, itself.

That would account on why Fast Access cannot be configured.

Let me see if I can find a solution for you.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 27th, 2012 15:00

polarbear08

I may be able to help, please shoot me a private message.  Just click on the link in my signature.  Please include your name and service tag.  I can't promise anything here, service options may be limited if the system is out of warranty but the least I can do is take a look.  

TB

No Events found!