Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 4th, 2011 07:00

WiFi causes extreme computer slowdown

I have a Precision M2400 as my primary work PC that I inherited when I started my new job at the beginning of the year. It has the Intel 5300AGN WiFi card. Since I have started, if I have the WiFi switch turned on while I'm connected using a wired connection, at least once a day the laptop will grind to a virtual halt. Opening up Task Manager reveals that taskmgr.exe itself is using nearly 100% of the CPU, and my choices are either shut down gracefully (which takes almost an hour) or hard power off (which makes me lose unsaved work). If I don't have the WiFi switch in the On position, this never happens. The WiFi is configured to automatically connect to my work wireless network, which is running on a Linksys wireless router. This hasn't happened offsite yet, but I also don't typically have my laptop on for more than a couple of hours if I'm at home or a branch office.

Also of note, when this happens I can't return to normal operation by simply turning the WiFi switch off. Nor will a warm reboot fix the problem. I have to power the laptop down completely and then power back on to fix the problem. I've checked for viruses, obviously, and updated my WiFi drivers. I know I can just turn my WiFi off when I'm in the office, but 1) I don't know if the problem is necessarily limited to in-office use, and 2) I use WiFi exclusively when I'm not in my office and I don't always remember. I have not tried reinstalling Windows yet, because this is my work PC and it would take me nearly a week to get back up and running with all the software I use here.

Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this, or have any suggestions for something else I can check or try?

3 Posts

May 6th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the suggestions. My BIOS is up to date (I had checked for an unrelated problem) and the WiFi drivers are the latest and greatest.

3.8K Posts

May 6th, 2011 10:00

Hi Jason9045,

Welcome the Community. I would suggest you to update your bios and your wireless card driver, use the below link. Select the operating system before downloading.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PREC_M2400&hidos=WV64&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

No Events found!