Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

December 4th, 2019 07:00

Dell Latitude 5480 strange freeze

Hello, I have been using a refurbished Latitude 5480 with no problems for a few years now.  Recently I've been getting strange freezes where the screen goes like this:

http://imgur.com/gallery/QMxA2LX

The screen starts getting black from the sides like when a person feels like they are blacking out.  I've not seen this before in my computer history.  Has anyone seen this before?

I should be all up to date with Windows updates as well.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

December 4th, 2019 09:00

Try updating your drivers for the GPU. If that does not help then run a full diagnostic as it could be either the LCD screen or the GPU itself. Try connecting an external monitor and see if the problem persists. If not then it is a screen problem. Restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run diagnostics and pay attention to the video and screen results.

4 Posts

December 4th, 2019 16:00

Thanks for the suggestions.

GPU is up to date.

Diagnostics came back 100% ok.

Don't have an external monitor to test right now, but will in a few days.  Checked the connection on the motherboard and that was seated ok too.

I did find out if I tap the lower right/lower left of the chassis when it freezes, it comes back, but the screen looks like it's at a lower Hz when you can see the screen flashing.  Makes me think it's the screen going out.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2019 05:00

I was able to attach another monitor to the computer and have had no problems.  This, along with the way I can fix it (by tapping the chassis) leads me to believe the monitor is going out.  It was a refreshed model when I bought it 2 years ago, so maybe a screen replacement is in order.

No Events found!