Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

4 Posts

February 20th, 2019 23:00

Dell Latitude 5591 system lock up after screen turns off

Hi!

After updating BIOS (to 1.6) and operating system, my system started to lock up when screen turns off - it is not possible to wake it up anymore, so only option is to do hard restart. Laptop LED is blinking (two amber, one white, if I remember correctly). Normal suspend works fine, there are no other issues.

Is it a known problem with the current BIOS and not the issue with hardware?

49 Posts

February 21st, 2019 02:00

You could test if it's a hardware issue by downgrading your BIOS.

4 Posts

February 21st, 2019 14:00

I tried, last working version was 1.2.3 and one component failed to downgrade while doing this. I might try to look into this again, maybe some other version works.

I'm hoping that someone at Dell could tell something about it, if this is known issue and the fix is coming, then I could wait a bit and not risking with bricking my machine. 

2 Posts

August 8th, 2019 20:00

I've been seeing this with a few 5591's we have at work. I am not sure what the cause is.  1.7.3 is the current BIOS these systems are on. 

30 Posts

November 19th, 2022 23:00

Hello,

I have Latitude 5591 I got from eBay. I have issue where system freezes when monitor turns off. I've tried SSD replacement, video driver removal, all firmware updates. My solution working is to not let the monitor turn off. So, you must have a screensaver but do not turn off the monitor. 

Hope that helps, 

Jason

30 Posts

November 19th, 2022 23:00

Hello,

I have Latitude 5591 I got from eBay. I have issue where system freezes when monitor turns off. I've tried SSD replacement, video driver removal, all firmware updates. My solution working is to not let the monitor turn off. So, you must have a screensaver but do not turn off the monitor. 

Hope that helps, 

Jason

4 Posts

November 20th, 2022 02:00

Yeah, it works, but it even crashes (most of the time) when closing the lid, making it  not portable (without losing work). 

No Events found!