Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2019 14:00

E5510 with Intel i3 - Low CPU and ram utilization

Hello,

I have a Latitude e5510 that I recently bought from a dismantler.  I just finished installing 6gb ram, a WD 640gb HDD, and Windows 10.  I spent the afternoon downloading the hardware drivers from the Dell site but noticed the performance has been rather slow while downloading and installing the drivers.

After running the task manager, I realized that the CPU utilization hasn't gone over ~0.92 GHZ and only ~2.2gb out of the 6gb ram is being used.  I've tried running different programs, multiple instances of YouTube, etc, but nothing changes in the hardware utilization.

Here is a screencap of the Performance tab of the Task Manager while installing Office.  Notice the hardware utilization hasn't changed noticeably.

Has anyone experienced something similar?  I'm out of ideas on what to do.  I even went into the BIOS to make sure the speed settings were optimized.

Thank you for any help.

Capture.JPG 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 5th, 2019 14:00

There are no Dell drivers for windows 10 for your model. Do not install the windows 7 drivers! Since the laptop is almost 8 yrs old you have to settle for generic win 10 drivers that might not give you all the benefits of Windows 10. Did you install the 64 bits version of windows 10? Go to Device Manager and let Windows 10 search for drivers. Those should be better than win 7 drivers.

We cannot see the graphics you posted. Only you can see them. 

205 Posts

February 5th, 2019 20:00

I've seen this before, and you might want to investigate a return.

This low CPU speed is a common issue with older used systems and may reflect a bum CPU or motherboard, or even incompatibilities with Win 10 power saving, while the memory number is standard, as it correctly displays 6 GB, but right now, Windows currently only needs 2.2 GB of that - nothing to worry about.

I have 16GB installed, with 6.2 GB used, 9.6 GB free, out of 15.8 GB total.

Did the CPU work at the proper speed with the original Windows 7 install? If so, then go back to Win 7 and be happy it works at all.

If not, I remember people posting about this years ago after buying EXX10-level Latitudes from junk resellers and lots of them had very similar CPU speed issues to yours. If you can, get a refund.

February 17th, 2019 11:00

I'm not sure how it ran with Windows 7 - when I got it, there was no hard drive, ram, etc.

Thank you guys very much - my issue is resolved now.  As you both stated, I think the cause was related to installing Win7 drivers.  Even though I installed the Dell drivers in compatibility mode,  the system didn't really run at full potential until Windows Update downloaded the Intel drivers.

Now I get full use of the i3 processor and ram :)   Thankfully this little machine runs pretty well now.

No Events found!