Unsolved

A

17 Posts

February 7th, 2023 13:00

E6430 ATG system freeze afer a very short time

I have a 

Latitude E6430 ATG

running windows 7 

The system wil power on fine but then the screen will freeze very quckly.

any suggestions?

17 Posts

February 7th, 2023 13:00

It lasts a little longer in bios, but freezes there too.

17 Posts

February 7th, 2023 14:00

Also this motherboard has the touch screen connector but no touch screen. the wire includes the connector. should i leave this connected or not?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

February 7th, 2023 14:00

That's an 11-year-old laptop. Has it ever had a good cleaning or had its thermal compound changed? If not, then the thermal compound has dried out and cannot adequately transfer heat away from the processor, and there may be a lot of dust inside the laptop and maybe inside the fan and heat fins. So, your laptop is unable to adequately cool itself.

You might consider an internal cleaning. Open it up to clean out dust. Disassemble the fan to clean out dust and fluff. I found a fair bit in two laptops I worked on recently. Remove the heat sink, remove the old thermal compound and apply new thermal compound before reinstalling the heat sink.

While you're in there, replace the CMOS battery. If it isn't dead, it soon will be. BIOS settings and date/time can't be saved without a functioning CMOS battery.

Whenever touching components or working inside a computer, wear a grounded wrist strap, also called anti-static wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet. It's a cheap and sensible precaution. Rest the laptop on an anti-static mat or at least a reasonable alternative such as corrugated cardboard.

You should run Dell Diagnostics:
Immediately after pressing the power button to turn on the laptop (or after clicking the Reboot command), press and hold F12 to enter the One Time Boot Menu, select Diagnostics and press Enter. The Dell Diagnostics will test major hardware components. Choose to run the extended tests.

Hold down the D key while booting the system to run the display hardware tests.

17 Posts

March 8th, 2023 10:00

while i do appreciate your reply i would prefer you stop spamming people asking if your post helped them.  there are enough spam messages from dell already.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

March 8th, 2023 22:00

Typically, it will be a software-related issue or your computer has too many programs operating at once, causing it to freeze. Additional issues such as insufficient hard-disk space or 'driver'-related issues also can cause a computer to freeze.

17 Posts

March 8th, 2023 23:00

Unless it was some sort of bios issue these other issues have been eliminated.  Its true what the others have said, computers are not designed to last this long unless they spent a long time sitting on a shelf not being used, or had a replacement motherboard installed.  This is true even more for nvidea graphics units which is why i have avoided those at all costs.  I7qm graphics on these models are better then nvidea anyway.

1 Rookie

• 

109 Posts

March 9th, 2023 00:00

Well you can try the following:

1. Update your drivers.(you can updated outdated driver manually or automatically using a good driver updater software like Advanced Driver Updater or driver easy
  2. Adjust power plan settings for your hard disk.
  3. Delete the temp files.
  4. Repair system files.
  5. Adjust your virtual memory.
  6. Run Windows Memory Diagnostic.
  7. Perform a system restore.
No Events found!