Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CM

2 Posts

August 6th, 2020 08:00

Extending docking station USB-C?

I am looking to have my laptop's docking station placed on a credenza under a large screen TV and my laptop on a conference table....

Thought I could just get a USB-C extension cable .....but using it, I do not get display on either the TV or my computer monitor (when connected to that instead).

The extension cable has a power port for a 12 volt adapter, and I added that, but still no good.

Any ideas?

I am going to net try to get a male usb-c-->male usb-c cable and turn the extension cable the other direction to see if that helps.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2020 05:00

No one?

Using a Latitude7490 and its accompanying dock station.

Can anyone HELP?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 18th, 2020 08:00

@cuda man  USB extension cables typically only support carrying power and USB 2.0 data, not video and USB 3.0 data.  And even for the ones that support the latter, you still have a limit on total cable length.  You can't just string together an unlimited number of extension cables all rated for some performance level and expect the entire chain to perform at that level.  You didn't specify what docking station model you're even using (would have been helpful), but if it's a USB-C dock that supports more than 60W power delivery and USB 3.1 Gen 2, then the longest cable run you can have is about 3 feet.  But using an extension cable doesn't always perform as well as using a single cable of the same total length, because the transition across the connector between the two cables is actually a significant source of signal loss.

If you want to try another extension cable, make sure you get one that's specifically rated for USB 3.1 Gen 2, video (aka DisplayPort Alt Mode), and up to 100W USB Power Delivery rather than 60W, since the Latitude 7480 is designed for 65W.  But again, be aware that it may not work.  Some USB-C docks have a permanently attached cable that's already at or near the maximum usable cable run for the capabilities they're trying to support.

1 Message

February 11th, 2021 06:00

Hi @cuda man 

Did you find a solution to this? If so, please would you mind telling me how you did it

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

January 17th, 2022 09:00

Hi to everybody.

Me too, I'm very interested to this argument.

I have a latitude 5300 with a docking wd19. 

Well, having the need to move the laptop position by half a meter, I bought on alix an extension cable usb type-c, "rated" USB 3.1 GEN2 and 100 W power delivery. It seems very well made in the hands!

And...it do not work! It give me only a duplication of the monitors, no any other functions!

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

February 16th, 2023 07:00

After trying many USB-C extension cables for my dock, I've given up.  I think that the short cable on the dock is at its maximum length already, and as soon as you try to put an extension on it, something stops working.  I guess it should not come as a surprise.  I'm pushing 90W of power, 2 displays, Ethernet, Camera, microphone, and speaker all through that one port.  I'm thankful that it works at all.  The smaller Dell docks have about a 3 foot cord on them, and the big docks are only 18".  Maybe you could try one of the smaller docks if you don't need the higher power output?

1 Message

April 4th, 2023 01:00

I have 2 metre extension and cannot even use a mouse or a keyboard. Real pity. It is a passive cable but with a really thick isolation and all I need is couple of watts to get out of it.

No Events found!