Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2021 12:00

Latitude 5320 switching to HTTPSBoot at random

We just started using the Latitude 5320 after 5310 was discontinued. We use MDT to create and deploy images. We set the storage in BIOS to AHCI, and Secure Boot off. This is standard practice. What we can not disable all the time is HTTPSBOOT, which is something new I have not seen previously. I built the image from scratch using the Windows 10 media creation tool and 20H2 build. After I installed the OEM version, installed all drivers, I captured using MDT and deployed the image. Everything was working fine for a day, but then randomly when shutting the lid , which I have set to sleep on battery, and waiting about 10 minutes, we open the lid and when it would normally come back up to Windows, we get the attached error. After that, going into BIOS doesn't show the M.2 at all until a couple more reboots. This doesn't happen every time but is happening. 

Error:

"HTTPSBOOT Failed to initialize network connection"

Didn't know if anyone else has ran into similar situation and had a fix or not. I do not believe this to be a driver issue since we are not using RAID in the BIOS and because this typically happens after coming out of sleep or when first trying to boot the device up. And then when the BIOS no longer shows an M.2 drive at all.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Todd R.

1 Message

August 25th, 2021 20:00

We have encounted the issue as well when (1) laptop is in sleep mode, and/or (2) if the laptop goes idle for a certain period and we also clueless on how to resolve it. 

However, I'm not sure if this is the solution but one of our users encountered the error this morning and i went ahead to meet up with him.  First thought that is that the laptop always boots to HTTPS instead of the SSD regardless how many times I restart it, so I when to the BIOS and checked the Boot sequence.

Upon checking, the 1st boot sequence was set to the HTTPS (or the network card) followed by the SSD.  I've unticked the "HTTPS" or the network card and saved the settings, restarted the laptop and it was able to boot to Windows.  I've shut down the laptop several times and even put it to sleep mode while walking around (while carrying the laptop) and so far no issues with the HTTPS.

Btw, we are using the company OS image and we set the laptop to AHCI instead of RAID.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2022 08:00

If the Windows image is deployed either via Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) with HTTS/Network boot enabled in the BIOS boot sequence, ensure that you disable
the same once the deployment is completed.

Ensure the SDD or Hard drive is set as the primary boot device in the BIOS boot sequence.
NOTE: This issue will generally not be seen if the image is deployed through RAID.

Users may need to locate the BIOSConnect option on the BIOS setup page. Users can find it in two different places depending on the type of BIOS Setup menu.

BIOS Setup menu Type A =
F2 --> Connection --> HTTP(s) Boot --> Switch to Off
F2 --> Update, Recovery --> BIOSConnect > Switch to Off

BIOS Setup menu Type B =
F2 --> Settings --> SupportAssist System Resolution --> BIOSConnect --> Uncheck BIOSConnect option

Helpful Video:

If still under the purchased warranty, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

(edited)

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

June 5th, 2023 12:00

If you are facing the message error "HTTPSBOOT Failed to initialize network connection" try to reseat the SSD:

- Open your laptop base cover according to your model, check the manual here;

- Remove the SSD, wait a few seconds and place it back again;

- Place the back cover of your laptop;

- Restart the laptop, check if you are able to boot now. 

Note: Do not attempt to do this without reading your laptop' Service Manual.

Helpful Video:

If still under the purchased warranty, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

(edited)

• 

25.1K Posts

April 15th, 2021 12:00

Hello, I haven't received the Service tag or Express Service Code yet. Could you share any of them in the text format so that I can assist you with your query?

9 Posts

April 16th, 2021 04:00

Even though it shouldn't matter, we are going to try imaging after using PXE boot with the RAID driver injected only along with RAID set in BIOS. I am not expecting a miracle on this, but will report back if this somehow fixes the problems we have been having.

April 19th, 2021 09:00

@ToddMR74 I am having the same error here - latitude 5520 and 5320. 

I have traced the issue down to the machine being in AHCI. If you check the event view do you see any volmgr errors?

Looking in the community forums I am seeing a few other people have this issue as well. I have been working with pro support for the last couple weeks, and the solution I have gotten is create a new golden image using RAID and image the machines in raid. 

My forum post- https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Latitude-5X20-crashing-when-lid-is-closed/m-p/7844855#M31818

I went through the last 15 pages of the forum and found the following articles also having similar issues. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Issue-with-AHCI-Controller-on-new-Latitude-7420/m-p/7825987#M30918

https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Latitude-5420-with-missing-Standard-SATA-AHCI-driver/m-p/7831369#M31196

9 Posts

April 19th, 2021 10:00

I already switched to a RAId image and so far everything has been acting normal. Not sure the advantage to using a RAID confit with a single drive. It’s been working this far so I am sure that is the solution. I just figured it didn’t hurt to try before speaking with Dell. 

1 Message

April 30th, 2021 00:00

Hi! I have exactly the same issue on Latitude 5320 (with touchscreen) and .

Any solution to solve it without doing updates in the corporate image for now? Update any BIOS setting? Update a certain driver? Hope someone can let me know a "quick fix" so I can hand it over to user starting next week...

Thanks!

Cecilia

April 30th, 2021 07:00

@CeciliaD unfortunately no quick fix as of now. The current word and solution from pro support is that "Dell does not support AHCI or custom images, so use Raid."

I am working with my account manager and trying to escalate, while keeping an eye on any driver updates dell releases, but I haven't heard anything yet. 

In the bios you can turn off the HTTPSBoot but that doesn't help with the machine crashing. 

1 Message

July 31st, 2023 21:00

No Events found!