Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

Latitude E6400 touchpad not working after Windows 10 install

Kia ora,

Have just purchased an old E6400 and it runs really nicely after RAM upgrade and installing Windows 10.

However, the touchpad does not work, and I have tried several fixes recommended on the web based on downloading ALPS driver and installing it.

But nothing has worked so far, and most promising solution will not install because of compatibility issues,

Any ideas would be most appreciated, as would a driver for Broadcom USH.

Many thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2019 09:00

@Scott1Roberts 

Just finished installing and updating an E6400 with W10.

6400.PNG

Touchpad works fine.

Updated BIOS from A32 to A34.

Touchpad still works fine.

I got that same error when trying to update the touchpad with the Dell W7 driver but it still works fine.

Looks like your touchpad could be bad.

I wish there was more I could do.

Regards,

U2

October 3rd, 2019 17:00

Hey thanks very much for your help.

Yes I think it may be that the touch pad is bad.

Only one thing left for me to try, which is to update BIOS from A28 to A34. I already tried that but it wouldn't run for some reason so will try again.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Scott1Roberts 

Try installing this.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00113618M/13/DELL_TOUCHPAD----POINTING-ST_A11_R231736.exe

Best regards,

U2

October 2nd, 2019 14:00

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I had already downloaded this driver but could not install it something like ALPS driver utility not being compatible with Windows 10.

But I did go to C:\dell\drivers\2FYHT\Vi64 and run DPInst which did seem to install it ok. I then restarted as requested but still nothing.

I have also checked BIOS to make sure touchpad is not disabled with external mouse and that is ok.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 14:00

@Scott1Roberts 

Fix touchpad problems in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027866/windows-fix-touchpad-problems-in-windows-10

If you don't find a solution tonight let me know.

I'll pull an E6400 from my warehouse and load W10 on it and see if I can find a solution then.

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 15:00

@Scott1Roberts 

That would be fine.

Just let me know.

Regards,

U2

October 2nd, 2019 15:00

That's very kind of you, appreciated. I have tried those latest suggestions and no luck there.

One thing that is promising is that the device now shows in device manager as Dell Touchpad whereas before I think it was just showing as PS2 mouse.

I will keep trying for a solution and let you know in about 4 hours how I got on.

Many thanks

October 2nd, 2019 20:00

Ok, no luck after trying everything I am aware of.

Could be a number of things I guess, from broken touch pad to Windows 10 updates issue to a BIOS setting (but pretty sure I have checked all those). Perhaps the BIOS needs updating?

Anyway, I think I am resigned to using an external mouse and can live with that but if you do think of any more ideas let me know.

Cheers

2 Posts

April 15th, 2020 14:00

I have exactly same issue.   Worked fine on Win10 for last 18 mths.   Assuming issue is after some windows updates as just stopped working.  Mine also shows as PS2 mouse in hardware!

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 15th, 2020 15:00

@jaea 

Rollback the updates.

2 Posts

April 18th, 2020 03:00

not applicable to roll back updates.   no restore point nor do i know (or guarantee) what update it was.  It use to work fine for last 18 mths then all of a sudden stopped.   Replacement is not an option due to expense and labour to a old machine.  Was looking for solutions as assume its configuration but could well have simply just stopped/broken part for all I know.  Just strange how stopped working all of a sudden.  the tracker mouse button in middle of keyboard still works 

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 18th, 2020 07:00

No Events found!