Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2021 10:00

Latitude E6530 cpu upgrade

So I have a latitude E6530 which now has an intel core i5-3320m. The temperatures are running just fine and everything seems to be going great. That's why I decided to buy a new CPU. The one I chose is an intel core i7-3940XM. It's the best 3rd gen mobile cpu with 4 cores, 8 threads and running 3,9 GHz and its TDP is 55W. The socket is definetly the same (both are FCPGA988) but I'm not sure if the chipset can handle that. I've already seen someone who put an i7-3740QM to this laptop who shared this on this forum but idk about i7-3940XM. I think the chipset should be able to run that since it's a really high class business laptop and from what I've heard there were some with i7s originally in them (idk if that's true though)

So my questions are:
- Is the chipset going to handle this cpu? 

And also I'm not sure if my charger is powerful enough. I think I will be good with about 130W right? (19.5 V and 6.7A to be specific)

January 15th, 2022 01:00

Good morning/afternoon/evening.

I just upgraded my cpu yesterday. And yes, I chose the core i7 3940XM. And well..

Everything went great. The bios didn't even say anything but it detected that a new cpu is installed (there was some correct info about the cpu in the bios but it didn't offer me to do some diagnostics).

The system is more stable than ever. 4 cores really do their thing. I had some problems with windows tho. I just had to go to msconfig > boot > advanced options and change something about the cpu's cores. Nothing bad, after a reboot everything was better than ever.

As for the temperatures, they aren't that bad. Mostly 60-70 degrees Celsius when I'm using chrome. In games it's still sometimes thermal throttling tho. I'm working to fix that issue (I have cooling for core i7s for my laptop and I'm waiting for my thermal grizzly kryonaut paste to arrive). The funny thing is that some chinese cooling from aliexpress that's made for i5s is doing a better job at cooling my new core i7 (with 20w more TDP might I add) than the original cooling did with my original core i5. Dell is doing such an amazing job with their cooling fans, isn't it?

I also did some benchmarks, before and after the upgrade. Obviously my laptop is doing much better after the upgrade. Right now I have a bunch of apps open and the temperatures range from about 60 degrees to max 75. Not that big of a deal

So yeah, my upgrade went better than I could imagine. For anyone reading this who thought that this wouldn't work out:
Have some faith in humanity

10 Elder

• 

23.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2021 12:00

First hurdle:  this system was never shipped with XM CPUs -- it likely won't even boot with one onboard, as the BIOS won't recognize the CPU.

Second hurdle:  even if you clear the first hurdle, you're asking a system designed to run a 35W CPU to operate one that uses more than 50% more power -- 55 W.  It's a recipe for overheating, crashing and system instability.

Though the AC adapter will supply the CPU just fine, the system is almost certainly not capable of running it.

10 Elder

• 

23.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2021 13:00

Finding drivers is a software issue - running a CPU is both a firmware and hardware issue.
And 55W is still over 20% more power than the system was ever designed to handle.  Yes, it will be unstable, even if it does manage to work - you may have to resort to leaving the system disassembled and running an external fan to keep it running.

The most likely result will simply be a failure to boot due to the system not recognizing the CPU.  If you decide to try, be sure you realize that and either have return privileges on the CPU, or can afford to take the loss.

December 2nd, 2021 13:00

Yeah I know that none of the latitudes were shipped with a XM cpu but I think that if the chipset CAN HANDLE this cpu it will run just fine (maybe except for the heat/crashing/system instability part)

I actually upgraded a cpu in a 15 year old toshiba laptop where the bios is so poor it can be bought in a 1 dollar store. This laptop is running windows XP and after booting up everything was great. EVEN WINDOWS XP WAS ABLE TO FIND DRIVERS FOR THIS OLD AF CPU (somehow) so I'm pretty sure windows 10 will be absolutely able to find drivers for a 3rd gen cpu

What worries me is the crashing/system instability part. Do you think it will be THIS bad? I mean, Windows 10 is one of the most stable systems I've seen but it still may be possible

Also, the latitude E6530s were shipped with an i7 right? If so they're propably desinged for even 45W cpus (I think that most 3rd gen mobile i7s had TDP of 45W) but I'm not sure (depends on whether or not Dell built i7 motherboards differently compared with the i5 ones)
So if my motherboard is perfectly capable of running 45W cpu then I should be good with a 55W cpu?
Yeah I know that I'm assuming a best case scenario but there is a slight chance that this is in fact the case C:

December 3rd, 2021 00:00

About the overheating part: I found a better cooling system for my latitude which should be able to cool the i7 down enoguh for it to work properly. If that doesn't work I'll just turn off turbo boost and then the CPU will run at about the clock speed my CPU right now is. I just want more cores.

And I don't think that the system won't recognize the CPU. As I said I upgraded the CPU in an old af laptop which cost about 500 dollars and it went fine so I don't see why a high class business laptop wouldn't be able to do the same. 

About the TDP part: The difference between old and new CPU in that old laptop was 4W. I know that it's not much but it's almost half of the difference between a "normal" i7 and i7-3940XM and that laptop is tuning perfectly fine. I know that I don't put such a heavy workload on that laptop as opposed to my main laptop (latitude) but if that one was able to survive a CPU upgrade, so will my latitude. And as I said - if it starts overheating I'll turn off turbo boost and I should be fine 

10 Elder

• 

23.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2021 07:00

See above;  you're no longer looking for the technical details, but rather reassurance that what you're evidently going to try will work.

Overwhelming odds: it will not.  Be prepared to bear that cost of a CPU you can't use (or have a plan to sell it on).

December 3rd, 2021 09:00

Yeah I know that rn I'm just reassuring myself that this will work rather than actually accept that this may not work. But based from my expierience it will work. I guess that I'm just optimistic af ;-;

But I also don't fully understand your point. Did you ever upgrade a cpu? Was it a PC or a laptop? How did it go? If you have any expierience can you maybe please share it with me? Maybe I just got lucky with my old laptop and the odds of my laptop working with a i7-3940XM are actually extremely low? 

10 Elder

• 

23.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2021 09:00

I've upgraded CPUs on both desktops and notebooks -- but with CPUs supported by the system in both cases.  And success in one upgrade doesn't imply success with a different upgrade, particularly where a CPU never supported by a system is attempted.

These CPUs aren't exactly inexpensive even with their advanced age -- the other consideration is whether it makes sense to install a CPU, the value of which exceeds the value of the system.  Since the absolute best case is that the CPU will wind up throttled by the lack of adequate cooling, it's unlikely to perform as it would in a larger gaming system (for which these were originally designed).  You could (likely will) wind up with a slower system than you would installing the fastest quad-core non-XM CPU in the system.

December 3rd, 2021 10:00

I don't care about the price and as I said: if it overheats I'll turn off turbo boost which is not a problem for me. I am perfectly aware of the fact that it's just not profitable at all but I don't want to get a pc or anything since a have such an amazing laptop. I know about the prices of these cpus and I know that QM CPUs are much cheaper but I already know that if I buy a worse CPU then I'll think that maybe I'll get a better performance with the XM CPU and eventually buy it. So I want to buy the best cpu available first.

Still I'm not sure if this will work, some people say it propably will and some (just like you) say that there is a really low chance that this will work. I'm honestly so confused right now beacause I think that this will work but most people around me tell me that there's a low chance of that working.

10 Elder

• 

23.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2021 12:00

Disabling the turbo boost will cancel the advantage of the XM CPU in the first place, so you have your answer.

An QM CPU running in spec will outrun the XM CPU that's speed-limited.  Beyond the technical this is an experiment not even worth trying unless you're after first-hand proof that it doesn't work -- or only works partially.

November 3rd, 2022 18:00

How do you check CPU temperature?

No Events found!