Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2020 09:00

Mbr corrupt

I have a dell latitude e7470 with windows. Yesterday i had a write error that corrupted the MBR. i was able to do all the tests using the F12 key menu. passed all tests so no hardware problem. 

I called Dell support in Canada and paid $144 to contact an "expert" who wanted to reformat my hard drive. the guy was in India and followed a script but knew less than i did. their policy is to refund my money. 

i am sure if i can recover the MBR or repair it, all my programs and files are still there.  i dont know how to do this. i did flash the BIOS but no luck.  

i found a website that has a sequence to repair this but i need to get to the C prompt and cant remember where that lives. somewhere from the F2 menu. 

Help!

2 Intern

• 

410 Posts

September 19th, 2020 11:00

2 Intern

• 

410 Posts

September 19th, 2020 09:00

first off, what version of windows are you using?

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 19th, 2020 10:00

You're going to need a flash drive that has the bootable media for whatever OS is on the drive.  Once you have that, you can boot the system from it and proceed to try to repair or rebuild the drive.

September 19th, 2020 10:00

so do i just plug in my flash drive and reboot and it will go there or do i need to have the OS on the flash drive to do that?

22 Posts

October 29th, 2020 18:00

For damaged MBR, you can directly use an MBR repair tool and there are lots of options on the market today. The MBR repair tool can help fix damaged Master Boot Record easily.

No Events found!