Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

4 Posts

August 31st, 2020 07:00

Latitude 5510 Cellular Adapter Turned Off on Boot

The cellular adapter on my 5510 is always turned off when I boot the machine, and the only way I can turn it on is to disable and re-enable the cellular adapter.  Is there a setting somewhere that instructs the machine to turn the adapter off when the machine is powered off, or an "always on" setting??

Thank you in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

105 Posts

August 31st, 2020 09:00

Since the Precision 5510 does not have provisions for a built-in cellular adapter, you’ll have to describe the brand and model of the cellular adapter you’re talking about.

1 Message

November 5th, 2020 13:00

My apologies for my tardiness in replying, I don't recall receiving notification of a reply.

The cellular adapter is a Fibocom Wireless DW5820e Intel 7360 LTE-A.  I've updated it to the latest firmware from this site. 

Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

105 Posts

November 6th, 2020 15:00

No apology necessary! The current Latitude 5510 does have that adapter option, so I’ll assume you mean the Latitude 5510. The first thing to do is look in UEFI Bios Setup; on both of my Precision laptops there is a checkbox in Settings > Wireless, for WWAN and GPS, and both of those should be checked. Also, make sure Device Manager > Network Adapters > DW5820e > Power Management is not a factor. Device Manager may also have a listing under Modems for it, check its Power Management tab as well. Something controllable is very likely turning it off. It make take vigilance to figure out what.

4 Posts

November 9th, 2020 05:00

Thank you for the prompt response!

You're correct, it is a Latitude 5510.

I checked the settings in BIOS and everything was enabled.  Also checked the power settings in device manager, and the PC is not allowed to power down the adapter.

Any other ideas??

Thank you!

4 Posts

November 9th, 2020 07:00

That's one of the odd things about this issue - the cellular button has no affect until I either (A) toggle airplane mode, or (B) go to the cellular network adapter and disable/enable; then the button works.

I checked the WWAN Autoconfig, and it's running and set to Automatic.

Thanks for the suggestions!  We'll see if Dell Support can figure it out.

1 Rookie

• 

105 Posts

November 9th, 2020 07:00

You’re welcome!  I forgot about the Windows 10 Action Center (Windows key + A) and click Expand if collapsed. Make sure the Cellular button is On (when ON, the default is blue, “On” is first displayed, then signal bars appear). Also check Services: WWAN AutoConfig should be Running and set to Automatic. I can’t think of anything else. Good luck!

1 Rookie

• 

105 Posts

November 9th, 2020 09:00

That’s not how it’s supposed to work. As long as Airplane is off, Cellular should toggle on/off at will. You shouldn’t have to go into Device Manage > Network Adapters. I’d probably use Macrium Reflect to make an image backup, and then reinstall Windows to see if that fixes it. That way you can restore Windows if it doesn’t or consider staying with the new installation if it does.

October 26th, 2021 08:00

Sorry for the thread necropsy, did you get this resolved? I have a 5511 that has the same issue...

4 Posts

October 26th, 2021 11:00

Yes I did.  I sent the laptop back to the company who supplied it to me, and they supposedly deleted the LTE driver and installed the new LTE driver from Dell.  Works every time now.

No Events found!