Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

November 21st, 2018 06:00

Setting up Dual Monitors using Dell Dock WD15

Hello -

Admittedly, I am not good at these types of things but I'm unable to get any help in figuring out my issue.  I have a Latitude 7490, Dell Dock WD15 and two Dell U2417H monitors but am only able to get one of the monitors to work. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise.  Additionally, the Dell Help Desk suggested I purchase an HDMI cable but that doesn't sem to work either.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 21st, 2018 11:00

Which outputs on the WD15 are you using, and which inputs on the displays are you connecting each of those to? Have you set each display to the correct input for what you’re using with it? Have you confirmed elsewhere that each display works or tried swapping cables and connectors between the functioning and non-functioning display? If you go into Display Settings, is the second display detected at all? If so, try manually choosing to extend to it.

The other possible cause is that Windows 7 is specifically not supported on the Latitude 7490, so this could be a driver-related issue that won’t be fixed. Dell doesn’t offer Windows 7 drivers for that system, because Microsoft doesn’t support running Windows 7 on it anyway because it has a 7th Gen Core CPU and Microsoft only supports up to 6th Gen on Win7. Since you’re running Enterprise, I assume this is an IT-supported system? If so, it’s time for them to get off a decade-old OS. Microsoft will stop even providing security updates for it in just over a year anyway, FYI.

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 10:00

WD15 Docking StationWD15 Docking StationThank you JPHugan for such a prompt response and Happy Thanksgiving.  I erred when I said I was on Windows 7.  I was logged into my workstation remotely and looked at the wrong WinVer.  I'm actually running Windows 10.  I have the monitor that is working set to DP input source.  This wire came with the monitor  The additional montitor has the DP to HDMI wire which I was told to buy seperately.  I get the error no HDMI/MHL cable when I start it up.  Each monitor works with DP individually.  Here is a screenshot of my docking station.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 23rd, 2018 10:00

Unfortunately image uploads are initially visible only to the person who uploaded them and Dell reps, until the reps "approve" them for general viewing, so I can't see what you uploaded.  But I was hoping you'd describe something like this:

Display #1: WD15 MiniDP output > MiniDP to DP cable > DP input on display
Display #2: WD15 HDMI output > HDMI cable > HDMI input on display

Can you provide a description along those lines?  It needs to be clear which input of which display is connected to which output of the WD15 via which kind of cable (and adapter if applicable).  Your description isn't adding up because you say that your working display is set to its DP input, which means you'd have to be connecting it to the Mini-DP output of the WD15.  But then you say that the additional display is set to its HDMI input and that you're using a DP to HDMI cable.  The WD15 only has a single Mini-DP output and a single HDMI output, so if you're already using the Mini-DP output for the first display, and the HDMI side of the cable on the additional display is plugged into the display side (since you have it set to its HDMI input), then how is the DisplayPort side connected to the dock while the first display is connected?  And if your displays have both DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, why not just use a standard HDMI cable with the latter display?  In essence, implement the cabling strategy I just described above.  If that's not feasible, then once again please provide a clear description of what you're doing now in order to help identify the issue. It would also help to provide the display models you're using so I know what inputs your displays have available to work with in order to help suggest a workable solution.

1 Message

April 16th, 2019 17:00

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue. I just got this brand new WD15. I have 2 Dell monitors. They both have HDML or DP. Here is how I have the connected to my MAC (which is also brand new)

What I get is:

1. The laptop is the main display

2. Display #1 is extended

3. Display #2 is a mirror of Display #1

I would like for Display #1 and #2 to be extended and not mirrored. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 16th, 2019 22:00

@onabison wrote:

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue. I just got this brand new WD15. I have 2 Dell monitors. They both have HDML or DP. Here is how I have the connected to my MAC (which is also brand new)

What I get is:

1. The laptop is the main display

2. Display #1 is extended

3. Display #2 is a mirror of Display #1

I would like for Display #1 and #2 to be extended and not mirrored. 

@onabisonif all of the displays are functioning (which is expected since your cabling is perfectly reasonable) then this should just be a configuration issue within Mac OS where you'd set the display to extend rather than mirror.  If for some reason you don't have that option, I'm wondering if Mac OS still doesn't support DisplayPort MST.  I remember it didn't for a long time and I haven't kept an eye on it.  But that would definitely be a problem because DisplayPort MST (which stands for Multi-Stream Transport) is what allows a system to use a single DisplayPort link to carry independent signals for different displays.  The WD15 uses regular USB-C, which only makes a single DisplayPort link available -- as opposed to Thunderbolt 3, which can carry 2 full DisplayPort links if the system is wired to provide them -- but since the WD15 supports MST, it can still run dual displays in extend mode rather than mirroring from that single DisplayPort link.  However, that assumes the system supports providing that MST signal in the first place.  If the system will only provide a single display's signal per DisplayPort link, then the WD15 will only ever receive a single video signal and therefore will only ever be able to mirror.

1 Message

May 20th, 2019 06:00

JPHughan

I was having problems with my dual monitors and the configuration you mentioned below worked perfectly for me to extend desktop window over my 2 P2219H monitors.  

Windows 10 display settings were set as follows:

Scale and Layout > 100%

Resolution > 1920 X 1080

Orientation > Landscape

Multiple Displays > Extend These Displays

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 20th, 2019 07:00

@Dheadrick wrote:

JPHughan

I was having problems with my dual monitors and the configuration you mentioned below worked perfectly for me to extend desktop window over my 2 P2219H monitors.  

@Dheadrick  great to hear!  Glad all is well. :)

2 Posts

July 15th, 2019 10:00

Dear Sir,

I have that exact scenario on my WD15 Dock. I first connected the HDMI cable from the WD15 Dock to my Monitor No. 1, then used a standard VGA cable for connecting Monitor No. 2. Both monitors worked fine. When I received my MiniDP cable from Dell, I immediately turned off Monitor No. 2, disconnected the VGA cable from Monitor and WD15 Dock. Replaced with the MiniDP connected to both the WD15 Dock port and the DP monitor port, Now Windows10 does not detect or recognize my Monitor No. 2. Why is this ??

Regards,

Gerald T. Van Dries

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 15th, 2019 11:00

@Pop-p  did you switch your Monitor #2's input to DisplayPort rather than VGA?

2 Posts

July 15th, 2019 11:00

Yes sir, I just did and switched it from the Monitor's setup menu and WHAM! it works!

Many thanks,

Pop-P

6 Posts

February 12th, 2020 22:00

I've got both my dual monitors working, but when I shut my laptop screen, the who thing shuts down. With my last 5480, I could just plug in the usbC and hit the power button on the docking station and start working, or shut the monitor and continue working. 
Is there a setting on the 5480 that I need to change so that I can work on my dual displays with the laptop screen closed?

Repsectfully

Larkin

July 4th, 2020 09:00

@onabison 
Any success there?

1 Message

January 13th, 2021 04:00

Hi, @LarkinLee 

(It can sound diffrent because my system is in german)

you have to go to:

1."energy saving plan" or "edit energy saving plan"

2.change advanced power settings

3.power switch and close

4.close

5.switch both options to: "do nothing"

6.press OK to save it

This should work (Windows 10)

No Events found!