Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

5 Posts

December 9th, 2020 07:00

Same issue for me. Detected unrecognized USB driver (\Driver\PnpManager). It can work fine for few days, then can disconnecting network every 2minutes for whole day. Usually restart helps little. WD19 current firmware, and dell current drivers. SHAME!!

16 Posts

December 9th, 2020 12:00

@Rafal4321 

There are a lot of dock related issues piling into the thread...

You issue sounds like mine. This was my fix:

https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/WD19-docking-stations-network-dropout-USB-dropout-across/m-p/7588042#M22226

Hope it can work for you.

December 10th, 2020 06:00

@Bogomips99 

I ask this before. Again. I have no "dell" power management option. Only "Balanced".

So my question would be, how did you get it?

2 Intern

• 

157 Posts

December 10th, 2020 09:00

@Catscratch29 The Dell Power setting comes with the Dell Power Management software. IIRC you used to be able to download it from Dell's website, but now they force you to use the Microsoft Store to get it. The Dell Power Management "service" you'll see on Dell's support website may or may not be needed for the application to work, but I don't think it includes the application itself. It's really dumb and confusing.

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-power-manager

16 Posts

December 10th, 2020 14:00

Hi @Catscratch29  - sorry dude, I'm not monitoring this topic much... also, dunno how to add that power option - my laptop just came with that option... (someone else replied below with details on how to possibly add this), however, I don't think that actually matters:

I just checked, after I did that registry fix to unhide the PCI Express - Link State Power Management (as per my solution I linked to in recent post above), that option becomes available in all power options - even the default "balanced" one you get with Windows.

So - just give it a try - run that registry fix, and find the power profile you are using currently (probably balanced), and try changing that power option for plugged in PCI Express - Link State Power Management to Moderate, or Off - and see if that works...

Note, there are a lot of people with a lot of dock problems posting in this thread... I only had the ethernet dropout issue, and this fixed it for me - I dunno about other issues...

Regards.

December 11th, 2020 02:00

@Bogomips99 

I realized it and already activated this option. Now lets see what will happen.

Thanks for feedback!

December 11th, 2020 02:00

@decker12 

I installed it from the store. Unfortunately it doesn't add the power management profile. But the app downloaded some power management service and installed it. So maybe this helps to get the power management managed by the dell app. We'll see.

5 Posts

December 19th, 2020 13:00

@Bogomips99 
Thanks, i just use registry file and pci power options appered.

Hope it will help.

MANY THANKS

5 Posts

December 20th, 2020 22:00

@Bogomips99 

Spoiler

I changed my Plugged in option to Moderate power savings.

The default is Maximum power savings. There is also an Off option

I changed my Plugged in option to Moderate power savings.The default is Maximum power savings. There is also an Off option

Changed to OFF and drop nework after few hours :(((

• 

25.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 00:00

Hi,

Prajwal here from Dell community.

Unfortunately, we haven't received a response from your end.

We'll be archiving the case.

Pease get back to us at your convenience so that we can further assist you.

Regards,

Prajwal

18 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 06:00

I've been working with Dell engineers and tech support to try to figure out what is causing the problem. Testing and retesting is taking a lot of time, since I don't have the opportunity to work on this full time. So far, nothing has come across as being the problem. I'm starting from scratch on my image and see if any of the updates/drivers/firmware might be causing the issue. Once I have any further information, I'll clue you in. Until then, please sit tight.

2 Intern

• 

157 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 07:00

LOL @DELL-Cares 

This is exactly the problem. 25 pages of issues and then @DELL-Cares pops in out the blue, without any solution or even an acknowledgement that Dell is aware of the problem, and says:

"Unfortunately, we haven't received a response from your end. We'll be archiving the case."

Dell mine as well have popped in and said, "Christmas cookies contain sugar and car tires require air to function properly." That's how relevant and informed @DELL-Cares is about this issue. They added such a dumb canned response it's practically offensive.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

December 24th, 2020 04:00

@DELL-Cares 

come on, we have been waiting so long, it is christmas time .

Please give us some good news about planned fixes (wd19 firmware, Bios) or whatever helps to mitigate this annoying WD19 dock issues.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

January 4th, 2021 11:00

I bought this dock before some days for my new inspiron 2in1. I upgraded everything i tried everything i saw here and my network still drops.

I then connected my tp-link usb gbe external network adapter directly to the dock usb port and the network still drops!!! what??? my external usb gigabit network dongle have the same issues! Then i connected my tp-link adapter to my anker usb hub (which is power charged and directly connected to the usb dock port and it works without issues! So this dock has problems with the internal usb power system (maybe the power of the usb ports is not enough to power dock ethernet port and the other usb port and devices somehow)

i hope i ll get my money back or else i ll suggest the law. stop trying to fixed issues, we are customers and we pay to have factory tested quality products ready to work

Shame for Dell

23 Posts

January 12th, 2021 18:00

I haven't posted in a few months, but here's an update from me:

My dock is now completely, entirely.... stable.  I haven't had a network drop, bounce, or disconnect in months.

I let the Dell driver tool do all of its own updates and upgrades on the PC (does bios updates, driver updates, blah blah blah) without much interaction from me unless a reboot is required.  There was a new sound driver that works consistently now (was having problems with it detecting my headset every time I plugged it in).

After all of those driver updates, it was originally much more stable, but not perfect... and then it just was, and I'm starting to wonder if there was a windows update that came through (our I.T. department uses Software Center to distribute OS and program updates) which stabilized it.

But yeah, rock solid now.  I have kept up with this thread and see people are still experiencing problems.  Hopefully they get resolved.

No Events found!