Latitude

Last reply by 09-14-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

Replies (393)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hello Everyone, still having issues here with  every WD19S and new laptops 5500 / 5510 / 5520.

Posting what I tried so far to keep the post alive :

- Update ethernet usb driver (from dell and from realtek)

- Update dock firmware

- update PC firmware

- In the realtek usb network card

- Disable EEE

- Disable Energy-Efficient Ethernet

- Disable IDLE Power Saving 

- Enable Modern Standby Wol Magix Packet

- Enable Flow control

- In Settings Panel - USB Section    

- ntick the last box where it says Stop devices when my screen is off to help save battery.

- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0004

EnableExtraPowerSaving= 0

EnableGreenEthernet = 0 (disabled)

Nothing worked.

Hello,I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have had similar issues with every Dell USB-C dock I've used, and so does everyone I know at work who tries to use one. Just yesterday, while working from home, my cat jumped up on my desk and brushed against the USB-C connection to my Precision 5440. The power indicator blinked momentarily; both my external monitors went dark for a few seconds. When the monitors lit up again, I had lost my keyboard and mouse (both connected to USB A ports on the dock) as well as my wired Ethernet connection. I moved the USB-C cable from the 1st Thunderbolt port to the second; now my mouse, keyboard, and Ethernet connection were functional, but one of the monitors went dark. The only way to restore normal operation was to cycle power on the laptop. And forget about being able to unplug the dock at home and transport the laptop to work while it's on battery power, then plugging in the dock at work. Doesn't work; power cycle required, and at that point I'm treated to 90 seconds of the Dell logo. What a mess.

I have a $60 dock from Best Buy that works far more consistently than any Dell dock I've ever used.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The only solution we have found thus far to stopping the network disconnects is to bypass the dock completely and plug ethernet directly into the dock.  That immediately "fixes" the problem for us, so clearly this is a driver/dock issue.  Dell has no solutions here and judging by the amount of time this issue has been present I don't expect one any time soon.

Edit:  We are running the WD19TB with Precision 3560's, 3550's, 3540's, and 3530's, all of which are affected.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The dropped and reconnecting ethernet issue for our Dell computers and Dell docking stations appears to be with the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller.  The 2021 version of the driver (10.48.914.2021) kept a constant ethernet connection, however, the updated 2022 version (1153.6.418.2022) causes the ethernet to constantly drop in and out between ethernet and WiFi.

@BenCunn wrote:

The dropped and reconnecting ethernet issue for our Dell computers and Dell docking stations appears to be with the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller.  The 2021 version of the driver (10.48.914.2021) kept a constant ethernet connection, however, the updated 2022 version (1153.6.418.2022) causes the ethernet to constantly drop in and out between ethernet and WiFi.

The older ethernet driver from https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=4x2v8 appears to fix the constant ethernet dropping/switching issues for us.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Wish The older driver worked for me.    I'm on my third replacement WD19TB from Dell and they all drop out within 10 minutes.  Tried Dock with Two different Latitude models the 7300 and 5320.  I have an older DS1000 Dock and it works perfect with both machines (no drops).  The Difference is the older dock is USB C not Thunderbolt.  When my WD19TB drops ethernet it takes out my entire wired network.

I guess this dock just won't work as intended.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks  

James in Central Texas

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

This issue is plaguing my environment. I've tried rolling back drivers, updating drivers, rolling back BIOS, updating BIOS, etc.. the only "fix" is plugging the ethernet cable directly into the laptop. 

At this point, Dell is ignoring the problem. Please fix this issue that is affecting so many clients. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just ordered a replacement WD19S (WD19 is no longer available) because of this issue. Ethernet drops out, light on one of the two USB cables goes out, etc. 

3 Argentum

Also having this issue where Ethernet connection suddenly falls down while being connected to WD19. It forces me to restart the laptop for it to work again. Tried all solutions suggested by other users and nothing worked.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor