Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2016 07:00

Dell XPS 9350 - Ubuntu 16.04

Hello, 

Just to give you some feedbacks of Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell XPS 9350 (no touch screen)

I just install Ubuntu 16.04 on dell XPS 9350 and for the moment everything seems to work out of the box.

Bios settings:

Switch to AHCI in BIOS settings

Disable secure boot.

Wireless is working without custom kernel.

Question: Where can i found the amazing boot splash from previous Dell XPS developper edition?

Regards,

161 Posts

March 19th, 2016 10:00

What is the point of this (I'm curious if I should do it)?

Wireless is working without custom kernel.

I imagine it worked in previous Ubuntu versions also because you have the intel card (since you have 9350), so it is not surprising it works in 16.04 right? But still it is good to confirm so thank you.

Question: Where can i found the amazing boot splash from previous Dell XPS developper edition?

I don't know. Maybe it is because of different BIOS versions?

3 Posts

March 19th, 2016 11:00

Hello,

If you stay with RAID settings Ubuntu will not see the SSD drive.

With Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10 wireless was not working out of the box, and we have to use a custom kernel.

XPS 9350 comme with Broadcom wireless card not Intel.

For the boot splash is a Plymouth theme so I guess it is a DELL theme.

161 Posts

March 19th, 2016 12:00

XPS 9350 comme with Broadcom wireless card not Intel.

Ah I guess it is only the new (i.e. since 1 week new) XPS 9350 *developer editions* that come with intel?

bartongeorge.net/.../xps-13-developer-edition-launches-in-us-ubuntu-based-workstations-available-worldwide

1 Message

March 21st, 2016 07:00

Does anybody face issue with CPU fan? It is not turning on and laptop is getting pretty heated up

i tried i8kmon and it threw an error:

sudo modprobe -v i8k
insmod /lib/modules/4.4.0-14-generic/kernel/drivers/hwmon/dell-smm-hwmon.ko
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'dell_smm_hwmon': No such device

350 Posts

March 21st, 2016 15:00

clems-xps

The nomenclature is unfortunately confusing. This is a setting for Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Within that context, "AHCI mode" is a holdover for when IRST was only applicable to AHCI drives. Interpret it as "native mode", i.e. with an NVMe drive, "AHCI mode" will expose the drive using its native interface. RAID mode means that IRST is turned on, in which case with an NVMe drive if you have RAID mode on here, you'll see a special AHCI emulation.

161 Posts

March 21st, 2016 17:00

relevant
clems-xps

The nomenclature is unfortunately confusing. This is a setting for Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Within that context, "AHCI mode" is a holdover for when IRST was only applicable to AHCI drives. Interpret it as "native mode", i.e. with an NVMe drive, "AHCI mode" will expose the drive using its native interface. RAID mode means that IRST is turned on, in which case with an NVMe drive if you have RAID mode on here, you'll see a special AHCI emulation.

Thank you for the explanation! It is a little too technical for me (although I appreciate it and I think most around here will understand). I think for my purposes I will not change anything :)

350 Posts

March 21st, 2016 20:00

Thank you for the explanation! It is a little too technical for me (although I appreciate it and I think most around here will understand). I think for my purposes I will not change anything :)

The gist is that when we ship with Linux, that setting is set to "AHCI mode". If you're installing Linux yourself on the Windows preloaded version, you need to change this to "AHCI mode".

161 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 00:00

relevant

The gist is that when we ship with Linux, that setting is set to "AHCI mode". If you're installing Linux yourself on the Windows preloaded version, you need to change this to "AHCI mode".

Ah this clarifies things! Thank you. I bought a developer edition and hope to do so for my next purchase. I do however rely on fresh installs but thanks to you efforts to upstream drivers I think everything works well.

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 03:00

For the people like me who do not have a  XPS 9350 developer edition , it will be possible to have the Dell plymouth splash theme?

5 Posts

April 19th, 2016 08:00

I think you're referring to the First Boot video. This isn't a Plymouth theme, this was a video they embedded into their (Landscape i believe) installer. You're actually booting into the last part of the installation process when you see this video on the stock image.

I am curious about Dells efforts to update the stock sputnik image to 16.04. And if there are any documented Kernel changes I will need on the Ubuntu 4.4 kernel.

April 19th, 2016 20:00

Hello,

I have recently received the Dell XPS 9350 Touchscreen, and Ubuntu 16.04 will install successfully, and boot to the user sign in window, but upon signing in (when compiz launches) the display drops everything but the background and the window render fails.

I'll keep working on it in an effort to come to a solution.

This is with dual booting Windows 10.

June 2nd, 2016 07:00

Hi Jared,

I can't get my wifi to work when I upgraded to 16.04, in 15.10 I just did "sudo modprobe brcmfmac" and it worked, that's not working anymore in 16.10 :( I have the xps 9350, non developer edition. Any help would be appreciated!

15 Posts

August 10th, 2016 08:00

Hello. I recently acquired a Dell XPS 13 9350 (2016 model) which has a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port which should be able to push a 4K monitor at 60Hz easily as it supports DP 1.2.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and have firmware and drivers up-to-date.

I'm using a (cheap?) dongle adapter that plugs into the Thunderbolt 3 female and connects to a mDP male going to the monitor. It's actually quite difficult finding decent hardware adapters that go from Thunderbolt 3 to mDP...

Linux does in fact see the monitor - it shows up in the Display Settings panel as a Dell monitor and I can move it around in the alignment area. The display also doesn't go into sleep mode, but unfortunately it doesn't display anything either.

xrandr

indicates the two display - the laptop screen and the "DP1" external, but it showed that the Hz for the external was 29.98. Not only is it weird the display is detected but not "working", but Thunderbolt 3/DP1.2 are more than capable of pushing 60Hz.

I tried manually creating an xrandr entry with a specific Hz but only managed to get the external to display every couple of seconds, almost like it was flickering on and off, only never actually turning off.

I realize that Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C are relatively new technologies, but I was hoping that 16.04 LTS - a fairly major and new update in and of itself - would provide support, but I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't the case. Is this early adopter too early? Are there updates in development and I should be patient? Is 14.04 more stable and compatible and would you recommend I downgrade? I'm OK doing so, so long as kernel 4.7 works.

Has anyone here successfully used a 4K monitor with the Dell XPS 13 9350 (and a Thunderbolt 3 to mini DisplayPort adapter)? If so, I'd love to hear your success story and how you got your system setup and working.

Happy to provide any logs or other information as necessary, let me know.

And thank you in advance.

5 Posts

August 11th, 2016 12:00

Hey, I was able to achieve the same functionality with Ubuntu 16.04 and Dells USB3 - HMDI adapter. Which adapter were you using?

If HDMI works over USB C it may be Displayport that's the issue. I will look into this more in my free time, at least we can center down the cause.

What Ubuntu kernel are you on?

15 Posts

August 11th, 2016 12:00

I'm using 4.7 stable mainline.

Why would DisplayPort be the issue if Thunderbolt 3 has Native DisplayPort 1.2 support?

I was hoping it was either a driver issue (that someone's working on) or the cheapo adapter.

I will follow this post for any updates, thanks for looking into it further!

No Events found!