Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2015 02:00

Installing Intel 7265 and warranty

I've ordered my XPS and it's currently being shipped. It's the BNX4323 model which comes with the Broadcom wireless unfortunately. From all I read in this forum, the Intel 7265 works a lot better and I'm thinking of ordering it. But I'm wondering about the warranty. Does it void the warranty to open the netbook to switch the wireless card?

22 Posts

June 19th, 2015 01:00

I have asked Dell in Denmark and the answer was: "Yes, it can void the warranty to open the netbook and change the WIFI card."

80 Posts

June 19th, 2015 10:00

Counterpoint: my XPS-13 is currently being replaced under warranty because the tech Dell sent to my office to swap the keyboard, killed it dead during surgery. The fact that I had replaced the WiFi card with the Intel 7265 (a week or two earlier) was immaterial. The machine was working fine, the 7265 did not cause or contribute the the failure.

Maybe posting this will make Dell rescind the replacement. Maybe because of that I'm stupid to post this. But I want to explore how to get this machine working as best it can, contribute to this community to do that, and I trust Dell to use and appreciate our efforts, and be reasonable and do the right thing. Maybe I'm naive for believing that. I hope not.

80 Posts

June 19th, 2015 11:00

That's perfectly reasonable because if Joe Fumblefingers opens his XPS-13, doesn't ground himself properly, rips the card out or touches exposed portions of the board, he can break his XPS-13 and the warranty should be void.

It's not hard but it is delicate and tedious, should only be done by people with the proper tools, knowledge and procedures.

22 Posts

June 19th, 2015 11:00

Please notice that Dell's answer was can void and not will void. After opening the notebook it's up to Dell to decide if they will fulfil the warranty.

No Events found!