Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2015 23:00

M3800 developer edition - hibernation, battery life questions

Several questions about hibernation, suspend, and battery life of the M3800 developer edition:

1. Ubuntu's certification page for the M3800 states rather ominously "Hibernate is not working on this system."  Can anyone provide more background on the cause of this limitation and whether or not it is likely to work in the future?
  2. Is hibernation working under any other distros, and if so, are they missing any critical features or capabilities of the default Ubuntu image?
  3. In the absence of hibernation, what is the likely battery life in a suspended state?
  4. Also, does anyone yet have enough experience with these to know whether it's worth sacrificing the second drive bay (as I understand it) for the larger battery?

Many thanks for any light you can shed.  The M3800 is a leading candidate for a planned purchase in the next few months, but I'm in need of more info.

9 Posts

March 10th, 2015 03:00

There have been previous iterations of the m3800 so are you sure that page is referring to the new developer edition? I was under the impression everything worked bar the thunderbolt port.

March 10th, 2015 18:00

I am not certain, but the page does refer to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS being pre-installed by the manufacturer, and I was under the impression that it was only the latest version which shipped with Ubuntu.  Here is the link:

www.ubuntu.com/.../201409-15517

The relevant text is this:

"The Dell Precision M3800 laptop with the components described below has been awarded the status of certified pre-install for Ubuntu . . .

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit

Pre-installed by manufacturer

Certification notes

Hibernate
Hibernate is not working on this system
BIOS
Dell: X69 (UEFI)"

No Events found!