Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2016 02:00

New Kaby Lake XPS 13, developer edition timeline

Hi folks, just wondering if there is a timeline for the Developer Edition versions of the new Kaby Lake XPS 13?

Cheers,
Chris.

21 Posts

September 15th, 2016 03:00

And a followup, on the UK website there's an option to change the keyboard to the US variant for the Windows version of the new XPS 13, but when I do so I get a "Compatibility error" with the text:

The selection - Palmrest for Belgium, Czech/Slovak, French, German, Italian, N-EEUR, Portugal, Spanish, Swiss, Turki is incompatible with Keyboard

I asked the online support, and I just got the response that the US keyboard was not available on those models. I was counting on this option, does anyone know of a supported way of getting a US keyboard XPS in the UK?

Cheers,
Chris.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

September 15th, 2016 07:00

Hi Chris,

Regarding the launch of the kaby lake developer edition all i can say is soon.  I would say that unless your current systems breaks down I would wait a little bit. :)

Let me check on the US keyboard, it should be an option.  I gather you are in the UK?

thanks!

21 Posts

September 15th, 2016 07:00

Thanks for the quick response Barton. I am indeed in the UK, having the US keyboard option is a big deal for me, I appreciate you looking into it.

I've actually been laptop-less for weeks waiting for a 16 GB model restock here, so I'll be hoping soon is really rather soon :)

Cheers,
Chris.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

September 15th, 2016 09:00

One thing i can say is the the Euro launch is scheduled before the US :-)

4 Posts

September 15th, 2016 12:00

Is the hardware between the developers edition and the windows one exactly the same though?

Thanks ^_^

21 Posts

September 17th, 2016 05:00

Hi Barton, anything further on whether the Developer Edition is going to be available with the US keyboard in the UK?

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

September 17th, 2016 12:00

Once the next gen comes out the US keyboard will be available.  And the next gen will be out very soon in Europe :)  We announced that the North America release will be Oct 4

21 Posts

September 18th, 2016 04:00

Fantastic, thanks Barton!

11 Posts

September 20th, 2016 07:00

Hi Barton,

I'm also keen to know if there will be any hardware differences between the regular and developer edition. (and roughly what those are, if there are any?)

49 Posts

September 21st, 2016 04:00

you just made me very very happy.

does Euro/European mean mainland europe or just the UK?
sorry if this sounds silly...i just want to make sure that I'm on the same page as you :)

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Barton :))))))

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

September 21st, 2016 10:00

We will be sharing the same chassis so the HW will be the same :)

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

September 21st, 2016 10:00

Both the UK and continental Europe :)

thanks for the suport

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 02:00

Hi,

The new XPS is prominently displayed on the Swedish Dell website and the description says it is available with both Win10 Home and Ubuntu 16.04, so of course, I wanted to place an order on a 512GB/16GB QHD+ DE version. In gold, if possible. :)

However, there is no way to actually select Ubuntu when ordering (or gold, for that matter), and when I've tried to call Dell directly to ask about this, I am then redirected to a Swedish Dell partner, Dustin, who have no info on DE availability and can basically only help me order the Windows version offered on the Swedish Dell website. If I try a direct chat option, I am redirected to UK Dell and no chat agents are available.

I also tried the email option, but so far nobody's contacted me to answer my queries.

I have to say that Dell makes it very difficult to buy their hardware.

Thanks,

Ari

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 12:00

Hi Ari,

Thanks for letting us know about this.  It looks like web team jumped the gun on this.  

The developer edition is on its way but it will be a week or so before its actually available

thanks!

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 01:00

Hi Barton,

Thanks for letting me know. I can't wait, it's just such a gorgeous piece of hardware. :)

A question about the new DE: What kind of modifications to the standard Ubuntu distro are needed? I am really tempted to just go ahead and order the Windows version since I'm probably going to need to dual boot anyway and repartitioning a disk is usually trivial these days.

Many thanks,

Ari

No Events found!