Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2014 04:00

[Resolved] ALSA driver issues in newer kernels

Hi,

I have the Dell Sputnik xps13 (9333) and I'm currently running Arch Linux on it. Most things work correctly but I'm having issues with the soundcard. Just to note I'm not using pulseaudio at all, only ALSA.

* The internal microphone doesn't work correctly. I set it to "CAPTURE" in alsa mixer but running

$ arecord -d 5 test.wav

$ aplay test.wav

just gives me silence.

The only application that I've managed to record something with is Audacity by manually selecting "HDA Intel PCH: ALC3661Analog (hw0:0) Internal mic:0.

* Occasionally my system will get into a state where plugging in headphones does not work correctly. When I plug the headphones in sound will continue to comes out the speakers and nothing comes out of the headphones. Unfortunately I have not found a reliable way to reproduce this issue.

Here is the output of running the alsa-utils-alsa-info.sh

* Arch linux

https://gist.github.com/delcypher/11367224

* Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

https://gist.github.com/delcypher/11367302

I also ran on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (from live USB) and I noticed that the internal microphone worked correctly. If you diff the files there are two very obvious differences

The cards get named differently in the output of lspci

Arch Linux

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 0a0c (rev 09)

Ubuntu 14.04LTS

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 09)

and the codec name is completely different!

Arch Linux

Codec: Realtek ALC3661

Ubuntu 14.04LTS

Codec: Realtek ALC668

My guess is that the sound card is not being initialised correctly by ALSA.

I wanted to report this to the ALSA devs but their bug tracker seems to be down! https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug

So is anyone else running Arch Linux or a derivative that also has this issue? Any ideas on what to try next? 

2 Posts

April 28th, 2014 10:00

I confirm your problem using stock Ubuntu 12.04.

I cannot use Sound Recorder and Skype since upgrading kernel.
I got same problem on webcam using Cheese: webcam led turns on but I've got a black image.

tarini@tarini-ultrabook:~$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

21 Posts

April 28th, 2014 10:00

tarini@tarini-ultrabook:~$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

I think you have an older sputnik model (1st or 2nd generation) so your problem is completely unrelated to mine. Also the kernel in stock Ubuntu 12.04 is very old (I think it's 3.6 or something like that). I'm using 3.14

I got same problem on webcam using Cheese: webcam led turns on but I've got a black image.

ALSA has nothing to do with the video output, your issue is unrelated to mine or any sound card issue in general.

21 Posts

May 5th, 2014 03:00

To anyone interested. I have resolved my issue with the internal microphone.

Here's what I did.

1. Run ``alsamixer``

2. Goto capture channels (press F4)

3. Set the "Digital" Channel to a non zero value (e.g. 40). This is slightly non-intuitive but it seems necessary for anything from the internal microphone to be captured

4. Set Internal microphone as a capture device (select the channel and press the spacebar).

5. Set the "Capture" Channel to a non zero value (e.g. 40)

6. Enjoy a working microphone!

No Events found!