Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2016 09:00

Ubuntu 16.04 on non DE XPS 13 (9360)

Hi all

Am thinking of buying a Windows version of the New XPS 13 (DE editions don't have spec I want) and doing my own Ubuntu install on it (will remove Windows). Dell says it 'augments' 16.04 Ubuntu with drivers for hardware support - anyone able to point me at a list of these, as I guess I'll have to add them on top of standard distro myself. in fact where do I find an image of Dell's full 16.04 install for the XPS 13? Leads me on my next question:

Should I be concerned that the list of OS's supported by Dell for this machine does not include Ubuntu 16.04?!! No Ubuntu OS image, drivers - nothing!

Finally, I am assuming the Windows and DE machines are exact same hardware (spec for spec) please advise if this is not the case..

Thx

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 14:00

I wouldn't interpret too much into it not being listed. The machine is brand new, so the list is probably not updated yet.

I just bought the Windows myself a week ago for the same reason and installed Ubuntu 16.10 on it. Like the instructions for the 9350, a few tweaks in the Bios was all that was needed to get started, and the rest is easy.

The driver support in my case is excellent. No problems to speak of. If the same goes true for 16.10, I wouldn't know.

29 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 14:00

Awesome, thanks @jonathfe

1 Message

December 4th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

I just received a dell XPS 13, 9360. Our IT installed ubuntu 16.04 on it. Everything works fine, but the sound card. Right now, after spending some hours on it, the only problem that still remains is that it doesn't recognize when I plug in headphones. 

The sound gets piped both from speakers and the headphones.

Everything else seems to be alright though. I don't know what to do with the headset problem. It basically makes online video chats impossible in public places.

161 Posts

December 7th, 2016 16:00

What do you see if you click on the volume icon in the upper-right and then go to "Sound Settings...". For example, mine says "Play sound through... Speakers" and when I put headphones in I can switch it to headphones.

34 Posts

December 8th, 2016 12:00

I had all kinds of issues with the sound card until I reinstalled 16.04 from the official Dell restore image. Now it works 100% perfectly. I assume it's just got to do with the fact that that image includes the correct driver for the card. Your IT department might be able to get the driver from the image and install it.

December 10th, 2016 00:00

I'm not able to get an Ubuntu 16.04 Dell restore image for some reason for my XPS 13 9360. It's a non DE. That may be why. Is there a workaround for this?

11 Posts

January 19th, 2017 05:00

I'd very much like it too.

3 Posts

February 18th, 2017 21:00

I wonder what tweaks in the bios are required?

No Events found!