Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

December 17th, 2021 03:00

Ubuntu after installation - oem kernel instead of generic

Hello, I have a question please.

I bought a Dell XPS 13 9310. I bought the version with Windows, but removed Windows, and installed Ubuntu 20.04.

My Ubuntu, I installed it with a boutable USB key that I created myself. But it installed the oem kernel for me instead of the generic kernel. Why ?

What is strange is when when I do a live USB with my bootable USB key, that I do have the generic kernel.

How is it that with the same bootable USB key, when in live USB I have the generic kernel, but when installing Ubuntu on my PC that I have the oem kernel?

It's just a question out of curiosity, because I want to understand the principle.

I specify that I don't mind having the oem kernel, since my Ubuntu works perfectly with my laptop.

Thank you.

8 Posts

December 30th, 2021 13:00

It's probably because the OEM kernel is not included on the Live CD/USB image, so it is not available to use when you boot.  Then, during install Ubuntu downloads the extra packages based on the hardware and options you chose.  One of those is probably the OEM kernel packages, which has some extra driver modules to support newer Dell hardware than stock 20.04.

Now, the Dell Linux Recover ISO does include the OEM kernel.  But I think that's only available for service tags that shipped with Ubuntu originally.

August 2nd, 2022 06:00

If you take a look at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2020-January/002478.html
it explains how Ubuntu planned to do OEM auto-detection.
No Events found!