Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2022 00:00

Upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13 9310

I have Ubuntu 20.04 pre-installed on my Dell XPS 13 laptop. 
   I would like to know if an upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 is possible now. 
  This latest version is LTS, so it is supposed to be accepted by Dell. 
     I would also like to know what is the best way to do it.

16 Posts

August 17th, 2022 21:00

I finally did and installed Ubuntu 22.04 with almost no problems. 
There is some incompatibility with some apps, but overall the process was quick and easy. 
By the way the new version has certain advantages and I think it's worth doing.

1 Message

August 17th, 2022 21:00

16 Posts

August 17th, 2022 22:00

I upgraded directly from Ubuntu on Software Update. 
I simply received a notice that allowed me to enter the process. 
 On the other hand you can from the terminal put the order: sudo apt upgrade, and it takes you to the same option.

August 23rd, 2022 06:00

I also ran the USB installer to test it out, seems to work well on the 9310, but I'm worried about the ability to do firmware updates with the Dell Linux Assistant. I had a firmware update on the day of release, which indicated it addresses "Security Issues".

Has anyone been able to get the Dell Linux Assistant back on this laptop?

16 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 09:00

Dell Linux Assistant doesn't work on Ubuntu 22.04 and I had to delete it. 
This does not affect the general update or the firmware. 
Anyway I think it's good to do the upgrade

August 24th, 2022 11:00

Thanks for the comment. Is this really the only issue in doing the upgrade? I suppose I can make a USB for a BIOS update when necessary. The OS upgrades and security improvements likely outweigh the ease of updating the BIOS.

16 Posts

August 24th, 2022 22:00

Yes, so far it is the only problem I had with the upgrade. 
  As for the BIOS, I don't think you should do the update via USB. 
 From what I see, the BIOS version on the Dell site is only for Ubuntu 20.04 and there are no BIOS updates for Ubuntu 22.04 yet. 
It would be good to consult with Dell support in this regard. 
  I think it would be better to wait for a new version from the Ubuntu update system itself and not proceed by yourself. 
  You could damage the whole system.

16 Posts

August 24th, 2022 23:00

According to Dell Support you can do a BIOS update via USB, but also directly over the internet. 
Do reboot with F12, it takes you to the BIOS and there the update is done with USB or direct internet. 
I think you already know this. 
In my case I already had the latest BIOS that I installed from the Ubuntu Update System

August 25th, 2022 06:00

Thank you, this is helpful. I'll do the upgrade today and test out the configuration.

August 25th, 2022 14:00

Upgrade was mostly ok, although I would recommend removing the Dell Linux Assistant, and had to do so after the install finished through the command line.

All the hardware seems to work just fine, fingerprint reader, touchscreen, trackpad, network, wifi, bluetooth, etc.

It actually worked, it just wasn't able to remove the Dell Linux Assistant.

Screenshot from 2022-08-25 11-49-16.png

16 Posts

August 25th, 2022 21:00

You can try sudo apt-get purge Dell Linux Assistant or sudo apt-get clean

24 Posts

August 28th, 2022 14:00

I was not able to update the BIOS using F12. What worked for me was going to the Application called Ubuntu Software, clicking on the Updates tab, and then clicking on the entry for the BIOS update.

16 Posts

August 28th, 2022 21:00

Very well done, it's the best

1 Message

September 7th, 2022 08:00

I had upgraded to Ubuntu Studio 22... but NONE of my desktop theme survived. I had saved everything in my home folder to usb drive. Reinstalled Ubuntu 20... from iso . Then copied back my home folder and my desktop theme returned after reboot.  So I am without LTS now.

16 Posts

September 7th, 2022 09:00

How did you do the upgrade? 
If you did it from the Ubuntu system, it should keep all the previous settings and you don't need to copy your files, they are left as they were.

No Events found!