Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2015 02:00

XPS 13 9343 Developer Edition - Initial experience & feedback

First off, thanks to Dell for making this awesome machine, and thanks to Project Sputnik for making it better!

I just wanted to provide some feedback about my first few days. I received my Developer Edition on 6/13 (FHD non-touch with A03 bios). After booting it up and attempting to run through the initial setup, it failed with en error when trying to create recovery media. After a couple factory resets, I found a post on this forum that said an apt-get update/upgrade would fix the dell-recovery package. During the upgrade, there were some broken dependencies, and I ended up rebooting into a mostly useless system (ui glitches, no wifi, most gui packages wouldn't open). Once I fixed the dependencies (apt-get -f install), finished the upgrade, and rebooted, everything was fixed. I did one more factory reset and did it all again from scratch, and didn't run into any more issues.

While it was more hassle than I expected, it was fairly easy to fix. It's worth noting that I haven't ran into any other issues mentioned on this forum (kernel panic, keyboard issues, problems with suspend/resume) except the minor issue of no click and drag or right click on the touchpad. I may try the 3.19 kernel upgrade at some point to fix the issue.

A couple other thoughts: Great build quality and battery life. I don't even take a power adapter to the office, as it easily lasts the whole work day with light/moderate use (50% screen brightness, no keyboard backlight). The keyboard feels good, and the touchpad is the best I've used. Very smooth and responsive. It really is a great laptop.

- A happy XPS 13 owner

No Responses!
No Events found!