Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2016 23:00

XPS 13 9343 X11 Crashes After a Hibernate

I recently purchased an XPS 13 developer edition 9343 and love the HW.  However, the linux operation has been anything but smooth.  I am running the original installation of ubuntu 14.04 with many tweaks and fixes, most of which I found on the internet.  The jumpy cursor is mostly fixed, blacklisted psmouse, etc.  The "Disable trackpad while typing" seems to crash X11 from time to time, so I disabled it.  If I enter the ctrl-alt-F1 session, it does help with the jumpiness.  

My last remaining problem is an X11 "black screen" caused by an X11 crash.  It seems to happen only after a wakeup from hibernation.  The crash occurs in XlGetDeviceProperty().  This is very annoying.  Is there a way to fix it?  Is there an updated X11?  Or, will an upgrade to 15.10 or 16.04 fix it?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

4 Posts

April 1st, 2016 23:00

Is anyone else using hibernation?   I blacklisted mei and mei_me.  Hard to say if it's better yet.

74 Posts

April 4th, 2016 20:00

> I am running the original installation of ubuntu 14.04 with many tweaks and fixes, most of which I found on the internet.

Lots of fixes and tweaks → then it is hardly the original installation anymore.

X segfaulting randomly after a while has been a known  problem caused by the synaptics driver.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88903

see also

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16093

so are you sure you did install updates?

In general Touchpad is much better supported in later versions. Just make sure you configure it as clickpad.

4 Posts

April 5th, 2016 07:00

Thanks for the reply.  I did install all updates.  Installing the 3.16 or 3.19 seems to have fixed the X11 crash.  It wasn't really caused by hibernation, as it started happening randomly while just using the laptop.

Do you know if anyone has successfully used hibernation on any version of linux?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

74 Posts

April 5th, 2016 12:00

the consensus here is that it is not worth to hibernate. power consumption is so low in suspend that there is no benefit in hibernation (so people also don't bother testing it).

For the case where suspend is not an option for one reason or another: All apps I use know to restore state (restore browser tabs for example), or have a "recently opened" list, so there's no real difference in closing all applications and doing a full shutdown/reboot compared to hibernating.

So why would you want to use it?

4 Posts

April 5th, 2016 16:00

Just force of habit.  I agree that suspend will probably work for me.  Thanks!  At least, I know it's not just me. 

I generally use hibernation on my work laptop.  There, I am dual booting Windows and linux.  So, I use hibernation to switch back and forth.  On my XPS 13, I just have linux, so hibernation is probably not needed.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

2 Posts

July 24th, 2016 02:00

There is at least one reason to keep hibernate working.

Using self encrypted disk features (SED) means that suspend is either disabled (sedutils) or insecure.  I just ordered the XPS 13 developer edition and I hope to set it up with SED.

No Events found!