Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 7th, 2015 12:00

XPS 13 Developer Edition - Upgrading to 15.04 has issues with dkms

It's not possible to upgrade from the pre-installed 14.04 to 15.04 (via 14.10) without issues, due to dkms trouble with the kernel.

The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
does not match this kernel/arch. This indicates that it should not be built.

Is there any way to fix this?

To get back a working system, you can workaround by rebooting several times, until you get into the grub menu and then just chose the 3.13 kernel. Removing the other kernels and updating grub gives you back a nice boot.

Full error report:

sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
linux-headers-generic thermald
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
linux-image-extra-3.16.0-37-generic linux-image-extra-3.19.0-16-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 318 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 239140 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing linux-image-extra-3.16.0-37-generic (3.16.0-37.51) ...
depmod: FATAL: could not load /boot/System.map-3.16.0-37-generic: No such file or directory
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.16.0-37-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-37-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.16.0-37-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-37-generic
Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 3.16.0-37-generic cannot be found.
Please install the linux-headers-3.16.0-37-generic package,
or use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located
Error! The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.16.0-37-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-37-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-37-generic
grep: /boot/config-3.16.0-37-generic: No such file or directory
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.16.0-37-generic
Device driver support needs thus be built-in linux image!
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.16.0-37-generic: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory
E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/casper-memdisk failed with return 1.
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-37-generic with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-extra-3.16.0-37-generic (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Removing linux-image-extra-3.19.0-16-generic (3.19.0-16.16) ...
depmod: FATAL: could not load /boot/System.map-3.19.0-16-generic: No such file or directory
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.19.0-16-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-16-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.19.0-16-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-16-generic
Error! The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.19.0-16-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-16-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-16-generic
grep: /boot/config-3.19.0-16-generic: No such file or directory
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-16-generic with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-extra-3.19.0-16-generic (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-image-extra-3.16.0-37-generic
linux-image-extra-3.19.0-16-generic
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

5 Posts

May 9th, 2015 16:00

I'm experiencing the same issue. The problem module (containing the BUILD_EXCLUSIVE flag) seems to be oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms. 

2 Posts

May 12th, 2015 17:00

The BUILD_EXCLSIVE error is because of oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms. I removed it and installed appropriate version for the new kernel using instructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS

5 Posts

May 13th, 2015 09:00

Did you upgrade to 15.04 using the Ubuntu do-release-upgrade tool, or did you do a clean installation? I've also tried removing/purging oem-audio-daily-dkms before attempting the release upgrade. The error message relating to the BUILD_EXCLUSIVE flag does go away, but I still see:

It fails to correctly generate the new linux image, and I end up with a broken system requiring me to reinstall using the Dell recovery tool. I'm reluctant to try upgrading again until I can be sure that the kernel can be safely updated to 3.19.x.

8 Posts

May 13th, 2015 09:00

I'm running Kubuntu 15.04 with kernel 3.19 and I don't need DKMS for audio at all.  (And having replaced the Broadcom Wifi card I can now uninstall DKMS completely.)

8 Posts

May 13th, 2015 10:00

No, I did a clean install from scratch, I even repartitioned the disk to my liking.  Since there is no data to migrate I don't see the point of a release upgrade.  And also note that you don't need to retain any Dell drivers or customizations -- stock (K)Ubuntu works just fine (notable exception: wireless driver -- you need to download and install that manually).

If there are some Dell-specific tools maybe you can save them beforehand?  (I did this with a Win8 machine, although I'm not quite sure what I should do with those.)

5 Posts

May 13th, 2015 10:00

I see. In retrospect I should really have just done a clean install of 15.04 as soon as I received the laptop. Now that I've been using it for a while it would be a pain to have to go through setting up my working environment all over again. For the time being I suppose I'll wait for confirmation that the upgrade procedure will work, or until I get frustrated enough with 14.04 that I decide to wipe everything and start afresh. 

May 13th, 2015 12:00

I can't even ... what?

Guys - how do I make a clean install? It won't boot an image from the usb drive or the sd card. Made bootable devices with the startup disk creator. Doesn't work.

8 Posts

May 13th, 2015 13:00

Oh, actually I do remember which tool I used: dd! :-)

The current Kubuntu image doesn't need any processing at all, you just copy it to /dev/sdX (no partition!) and that's it.  It's probably the same for Ubuntu.

8 Posts

May 13th, 2015 13:00

Sure it will. :-)

You'll have to enter UEFI setup and (a) enable booting from USB and (b) move the USB entry up to the top.  Those are two different steps if I remember correctly.  You probably want to disable Secure Boot as well (if it's enabled).

Alternatively you could install in legacy aka BIOS mode, as I can't think of any advantages for UEFI.  If you do switch to legacy mode be sure to enable USB module support in yet another menu.

BTW, can't remember which tool I used, probably either unetbootin or the Startup Disk Creator from the menu.

2 Posts

May 13th, 2015 15:00

For some reason it only posted part of my post. Here's the rest of the information need for upgrade from 14.04 to 15.04.

There is also another error: "E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/casper-memdisk failed with return 1". As far as I can tell you do not need any casper related packages (those are for live disks), I removed them and now my 15.04 works fine (upgraded from 14.04 to 14.10 to 15.04).

The package3s I removed were casper-memdisk, casper, lupin-casper.

You might need to remove some packages that are in broken state (kernel image packages), make sure you reinstall the kernel image that you want to use before rebooting. Yo can use dpkg --force--all --purge brokenPacakge

5 Posts

May 13th, 2015 18:00

Thanks zasran! After removing oem-audio-daily-dkms, casper and casper-memdisk (I didn't have lupin-casper installed), the upgrade worked flawlessly for me.

1 Message

June 13th, 2015 03:00

For all others who tried a distro update and broke their system that might end up here, the following worked for me (M3800, probably the same for the XPS13):

Boot into the boot menu (press shift when booting), start from the previous kernel. Then:

sudo dpkg -P oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms
sudo dpkg -P casper-memdisk
sudo apt-get install -f linux-image-3.19.0-20-generic
sudo update-grub

No Events found!