Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

3 Posts

September 8th, 2020 14:00

Dell Latitude touchpad issues

Just wondering if there is, in 2020, a solution to this long-standing issue with Dell Latitude (and maybe other model) touchpad issues.  The basic problem seems to stem from lousy, noisy Dell power supplies.  If your touchpad jumps around, try disconnecting from the P/S, and see if it improves - it may not be 100% better, but generally if you run on battery, it's a lot better.

That's clearly not a solution.  Dell has issued patches to drivers for Windows, at least, to mitigate this - if you read the touchpad driver release notes carefully, you'll likely see entries refer to this.  I did on my old E5570, and it works fairly well while on power.  My even older E6520 I've re-purposed running Mint, and the touchpad is truly terrible with the P/S attached - less terrible on battery.

People talk about config changes to X, etc.  Bunk.  The root of the problem is power, and Dell needs to fix their power bricks.

Anyway, enough ranting on Dell hardware - anyone found a real solution to touchpad "jumpiness" issues on Dell laptops?  Clearly, it can be mitigated via driver changes, because Dell does that, at least on Windows.  But on Linux?

No Responses!
No Events found!