Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2007 08:00

Dell Precision M6300

Hi to everybody,

I have order a Precision M6300 laptop and I want to install Linux
I prefer Ubuntu 64bit.

As I know, Dell does not support Linux on current model (yet?)
So, does any one have try to install Linux (any)? and much more... 64bit?

Regards
Sotiris

5 Posts

November 15th, 2007 22:00

I have ordered a m6300 as well. I will install ubuntu 64-bit or fedora 64-bit on it after I receive it, haven't decided yet. From the research I have done so far, in the ubuntuforums, the only problem people have had so far was to get sound to work. The process in method G, from this link, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller, is what one user did to get it to work. EmperorLinux pre-installs ubuntu on m6300 as well, but their site are pretty barren with user feedback, but they do post the linux kernel binaries that they configured for the m6300.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2007 08:00

This is very good, Fedora is my second option too. So, stay tuned...

5 Posts

December 1st, 2007 15:00

Well, I got my new m6300, but I ended up with Mandrive 2008 x86_64. Everything worked after the install. No problems with video or sound. I left Windows XP in a 30G partition in case I need it. The only irritation I have is with linux on laptops in general is that it doesn't know not to try and use the wired ethernet if it is not plugged in. I had to reconfigure it not to start the wired ethernet on bootup. I also have to manual connect to my home wireless router after the X session has started, even though I configured wireless to start at bootup. Also the wireless throughput is very slow. My Nokia N800 connects and loads pages faster. The use of ethernets is seamless in Windows XP, sitting in the same spot on my couch. I haven't tried hibernation and sleep modes yet. I ruined alot of batteries with my Inspiron 1100 with Ubuntu because the it wouldn't automatically powerdown when I forgot to turn it off. Fedora 8 x86_64 worked pretty well, but it wouldn't connect to my home wireless router automatically, it always tried to connect with my neighbors access points. I couldn't configure it to only connect to mine. Actually with Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mandriva, they all worked recognizing the hardware, except Ubuntu I had to manually edit files to get the sound card to be recognized. My main aggravation is connecting wirelessly without me having to do anything like in windows. I will stick with Mandriva for now. I like this Dell Precision m6300. I previously used a Dell Inspiron 1100 with Ubuntu. It was too underpowered for doing software development.

1 Message

March 26th, 2008 08:00

Hello,

I also have an M6300 but with Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit installed (it seems that 64-bit version causes more problem). Unfortunately, the sound does not work at all. Did you succeeded in using sound card during your Ubuntu testings ?

Thanks, 

s.

5 Posts

March 26th, 2008 12:00

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit. I followed the steps at the URL

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller, using method G

1. Enable the backport sources, you can do this by running

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list and uncommenting the line

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

2. Then installing the linux-backports-modules meta-package 

sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-generic

After that is installed,

3. sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

and add the line at the end of the file

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m42

save the file and reboot

I was able to use the mute, volume inc and dec buttons afterwards. 

No Events found!