Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JS

March 19th, 2018 22:00

DisplayPort Daisy Chain on Ubuntu

I have the following set-up, as described in the DisplayPort DaisyChain FAQ. Note that my two monitors are different to each other (is this an issue?).

Computer video DP out --> DP to mDP cable --> #1 U2417H mDP in (MST On, DP1.2 On)
#1 U2417H DP out --> DP to mDP cable --> #2 U2414H mDP in (MST Off, DP1.2 Off)

Both monitors work however my issue is that the system only detects one monitor - and hence it just shows the same screen on both. In my display options I can't change the screens to extend, as it only detects the one screen.

I followed the steps below and set MST on and DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled on #1, and DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled on #2 (there was no option to turn MST off).

* Press the monitor Input Source Select button
* Highlight mDP or DP (whichever you are connected to)
* Hold the green check down for 8 seconds
* Disable DP 1.2/MST to set it to DP 1.1 or MST Off

My system:
Ubuntu 16.04.4
AMD Radeon HD 8570 with Radeon driver

I would like to have both screens extended, rather than mirrored. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks

March 21st, 2018 22:00

Has anyone successfully daisy chained their computers whilst in Ubuntu 16.04? Apparently it has been done successfully in Ubuntu 14.04 whilst using the fglrx driver.

March 27th, 2018 18:00

In the end, gave up and succumbed to using individual HDMI cables from my GPU... Between this and my extremely faulty XPS 15 (had the hard drive, motherboard and ram replaced to get it to work), I won't be buying Dell again or recommending it to anyone.

No Events found!