Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 1st, 2007 02:00

Dual boot Vista + Linux with MediaDirect3?

I've got an Inspiron 1505 and It is currently running Vista with MediaDirect 3. I want to dual-boot Vista with Kubuntu and keep the MediaDirect functionality, but I've heard installing anything else that modifies the MBR pretty much hoses the machine. Is there a method to install all three and keep functionality? I understand that Mediadirect won't be able to read from the Linux partitions for music/video, but I don't care about that. Any advice would be appreciated.

3 Posts

June 1st, 2007 19:00

It is possible but you will need to get the MediaDirect3 install/setup disc to do it and you will have to manually install and setup MediaDirect, Windows and Linux.  Not necessarilly in that order.  Dell should be able to tell you how to set up MediaDirect but from what I remember you have to let MediaDirect do the partitioning and I dont know if it supports more than just a windows and media direct partition.

8 Posts

June 1st, 2007 21:00

I understand that I will most likely have to format. I was more wanting to know if anyone had successfully done it and how they did it.

8 Posts

June 3rd, 2007 14:00

So I guess nobody knows how?

20 Posts

June 4th, 2007 11:00

I could be wrong here, but so far, I think I've managed to keep MediaDirect working after doing the initial install (clean install, first using MD to format your disk, then installing Windows) by using a partition manager and adding logical partitions within the extended partition in which the MD partition (the hidden 2GB one that appears unformatted) resides, and only adding those new logical partitions BEFORE the MD partition. In other words, that MD partition always needs to be the last logical partition within the extended partition. Other than that, you have the option in your initial MD formatting of having either one or two primary partitions for Windows and/or data. The data partition, depending on its format (FAT32 is easier to work with), could be shared with a Linux installation. So, I currently have two primary partitions and an extended partition containing two EXT3 partitions (waiting for a Linux installation) and an MD partition at the end. I still need to resize one of those EXT3 partitions and add a small swap partition, again before the MD partition. DO NOT resize the MD partition, of course.

Now, the only thing I don't know about is actually installing Linux without messing everything up. The obvious would be to install putting GRUB or LILO on the root Linux partition, NOT the Windows parition. I'm thinking of trying EasyBCD from Neosmart to then add Linux to Vista's boot options. I'd hope that this would still keep MD working from a cold start using the MD button, but only a trial will confirm this. If I hose it, I'm afraid I'll be back to square one and a reformat. I wish Dell could figure out a way to fix MD without a full reformat.

For tips on using EasyBCD with Vista and Linux, see this thread

June 4th, 2007 12:00

Sounds pretty interesting! My XPS M2010 will arrive soon and I plan to replace Windows Vista with openSUSE 10.2. But I want too keep MediaDirect! So, if I am not mistaken, the following procedure would work:

1. Use MD3 Repair Utility to reformat the Disk and install MD3
2. Use a partitioning tool to make the following configuration:
2.1. first partition (primary) for Linux
2.2. second partition (first logical in extended) for Linux Swap
2.3. third partition (second logical in extended) for data/homedir
2.4. fourth partition (third logical in extended) for MD3
3. Install Linux

Would this work? Or can I make partitions 1-3 all primary and keep MD3 als only logical partition in the extended partition? Which way would be better?

When installing openSUSE, should I make Grub writing its bootinfo to the MBR or to the first partition (containing Linux)?

Thanks for your help! :-)

Message Edited by Brainbug1977 on 06-04-2007 03:09 PM

June 8th, 2007 15:00

No answers or ideas so far? :(

1 Message

June 15th, 2007 13:00

This should be pretty easy. 1. Resize the Windows Partition using your tool of choice. 2. Run the Linux Install 3. At the Grub Install step, tell it to install the boot loader on (hd0,1) "the beginning of the Windows Partition. That will leave the MBR intact and you will still be able to use "chane +1" to boot Windows. Also when grub installs it makes a back up of the MBR so if you have to you can restore it. Shawn

20 Posts

June 16th, 2007 13:00

Just FYI, I followed the directions in my post above, and it has worked with various Linux installs, retaining MD boot and dual-boot to Vista or Linux using Vista's boot loader (thanks to EasyBCD, which allows you to add the Linux installation - with grub installed to that partition, not the Vista MBR - to the Vista boot loader). Again, the MD hidden partition looks like it needs to remain the last logical partition within the extended partition created at the time you first install MD and Vista. Also, there is no MD repair tool I know of for Vista, only XP.

Regarding the question above about extended versus primary partitions, you have to keep the formatting done by the MD3 install disk, which allows only one or two primary partitions - your choice. Otherwise you'll screw it up and be back to square one. You can add logical partitions within the extended partition to which MD3 installs itself, and make sure to put them BEFORE the hidden MD partition. Your suggested layout for formatting looks correct. I have Primary 1 (Vista), Primary 2 (NTFS Data), Extended-Contains Logical 1 (Linux /), Logical 2 (Linux /home), Logical 3 (Linux swap), Logical 4 (hidden MD parition).

Oh, there's also the little logical FAT16 MD partition before the first primary (Vista) partition, which you don't touch.

Message Edited by JimDandy68 on 06-16-2007 09:17 AM

Message Edited by JimDandy68 on 06-16-2007 09:18 AM
No Events found!