Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2010 05:00

Is it easy to do DUAL BOOT with Linux ubuntu and Windows 7 64 bits on studio 1745?

Hi all,

I just bought a laptop studio 1745 with Windows 7 64bits. i would like also to install Ubuntu 9.0 64bits in dual boot.

Is there any problem doing this with this laptop 1745? I find a website how to do it but i would like extra information from Dell community for this specific laptop.

has anybody done that on 1745 ? Is it safe ?

I am totally new to Linux but i would like to have linux as well to gain experience with this OS.

Thanks

5 Posts

January 17th, 2010 06:00

Hi ieee488, Thanks for this answer !

I am actually unsure to add Linux to my new laptop too. But i thought it would be cool.

I have a 5 years old laptop Dell inspiron 2200 with 40 Gb of space with XP home edition.

Do you think its possible to add the latest ubuntu on this one on dual boot ?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 17th, 2010 06:00

If you are brand new to Linux, a brand new laptop isn't one that I would be using to experiment with. If you trash it, Dell won't be any help, not that Dell tech support is that useful these days.

7 Posts

January 17th, 2010 22:00

it is safe if you also install a boot manager. a good one is http://www.supergrubdisk.org/.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you install the boot manager AFTER installing ubuntu.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 18th, 2010 05:00

Hi ieee488, Thanks for this answer !

I am actually unsure to add Linux to my new laptop too. But i thought it would be cool.

I have a 5 years old laptop Dell inspiron 2200 with 40 Gb of space with XP home edition.

Do you think its possible to add the latest ubuntu on this one on dual boot ?

The Inspiron 2200 would be an excellent choice for you to try Linux with. And, yes, you can dual boot Windows XP with Ubuntu 9.10.

There's a way to install Ubuntu right from inside Windows. http://macpablodesigns.wordpress.com/ubuntu-101/dual-booting-windows-ubuntu-9-10/

14 Posts

January 19th, 2010 07:00

I am able to make my studio laptop 1450 with win 7 to dual boot with ubuntu without any problem.I have used the Windows disk management utility to shrink my hard drive for freeing some space for ubuntu and rest is taken care of by ubuntu installation CD.

Whole Process took just 45 minutes.:emotion-1:

January 26th, 2010 21:00

If you really want to go dual boot, you may want to consider EasyBSD for a boot loader (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) as I recall having problems when I tried to do the same with my old Vista system (Vista + Ubuntu), since the Ubuntu installation overwrote the MBR and I did not have the original Vista discs to recover booting into Vista... long story.... 

My advice is to install VirtualBox (or VMWare) and run a Linux image within that... the benefit is that you can run both Operating Systems at the same time.

6 Posts

February 1st, 2010 07:00

Hi,

I has just (Jan2010) bought an Optiplex 360 with Windows7. As a 'cowardly' way of obtaining a dual boot system, and not wanting to trash my nice new WIndows7 disk, I bought an additional hard disc and installed Fedora on it. I even disconnected the data cable of the Windows disk while doing this to ensure Fedora didn't write anything without asking me. (This happened on a previous occasion when not using Custom Install)

However I find that I cannot change the boot sequence of the hard disks in the BIOS, which is the way I have dual booted in the past.

Is this possible?

Regards

Mike

No Events found!