Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2005 10:00

Issues with Keyboard and mouse in Red Hat

I am having a very odd problem with my GX280 USB Keyboards and Mice.  We installed
Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 3 on three GX280 machines with no problem, mice worked, keyboard worked, install was flawless.

However...

After the machine started booting the OS, the keyboard (which works during the loading of the bios) seemed to freeze up.  Once it got to the Welcome screen in Linux, neither my mouse or keyboard worked for any machine.  The only way to get keyboard functionality back was by removing the keyboard from the USB port for 2 seconds, plugging it back in, and it would start working again.  The house isn't quite so easy.

I am not sure why it is doing it, though I believe it's possible that during Linux's load of the USB controllers that is the time the keyboard is hanging.

Does anyone know how I could go about fixing this, or know of a patch I could install?

Thanks

7 Posts

July 29th, 2005 15:00

I am having the identical problem, except I cannot get the keyboard or mouse working even after un-plugging and plugging them back in. Hope somebody posts a solution!

5 Posts

August 11th, 2005 12:00

I just loaded a Dell precision 380, same problem REHEL-3 loads fine, keyboard and mouse work fine. After reboot the usb mouse/keyboard does not work. I ran kudzu, it cannot detect the mouse and removes it from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf where it keeps its config.

You can run "kudzu -p" to probe your hardware.

I also tried a ps/2 mouse and keyboard, rebooted and it is not detected.

I noted from the boot messages that there is a usb.c error, after you reboot
type dmesg and I see this at the bottom of the screen:

usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
audit subsystem ver 0.1 initialized
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)
hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.3-2, assigned address 5
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=5 (error=-110)
pc_keyb: controller jammed (0x1D).

I called Dell, they only officialy support RHEL-4 but the linux
tech is going to look into it. Will try bugzilla.redhat.com etc.

7 Posts

August 11th, 2005 12:00

Thanks for the info.  I did finally find that if I let the machine boot up fully, unplug the keyboard, plug it back in, in a different primary USB port, unplug the mouse and plug it back in to a different USB port, everything works.  It looks like it is a problem with the drivers for the USB controller / root hub. 
No Events found!