Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2008 04:00

Mini 12 -> Where to download the Ubuntu-Image

Hi,

i have ordered the Mini 12 with Windows Vista as in Germany you can't buy the Mini 12 with the "big" hardware and Ubuntu.

So i am now very interested in installing Ubuntu on the device, could you please tell me where I can find the Install-Image for Download?

Regards,

Dennis

PS: Sorry for X-Posting in "General Hardware", but that was defintely the wrong forum.

5 Posts

Ubuntu info is readily available on the web.

Here are some links that I have found useful.

Ubuntu:Intrepid -

1.3.1 Fresh Installation

You can also order a free Ubuntu CD which is a "live" CD that you can use to run in your CDROM without actually installing. Good to find out if your system is compatible before actually installing. It has taken 3 weeks shipped from Europe to the states for the ones I have ordered.

Request an Ubuntu CD

Ubuntu 8.10 is the latest release (Intrepid Ibex)

12 Posts

Hi Charley,

intrepid does not work as the VESA driver does not recognize the graphics adapter, also the psb-driver seems not to work in intrepid. I have now installed a hardy on it but it was really hard work to get the native graphics resolution (need to rebuild the drm and psb kernel-modules) and now it works but without 3D Support.

So i am really interested in how DELL has solved those problems.

*** Poulsbo chipset.

Regards,
Dennis

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 05:00

I just signed up for the Dell forums so am not familiar with the Linux expertise here.

If you do not get someone more familiar with the difficulty you are having in Dell forums, I would suggest you try one of the

many Ubuntu forums or another site I frequently visit and has many Ubuntu and other linux expert users participating.

Linux & Unix (Bleeping Computer's Linux Forum)

12 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 05:00

If you are interested in that topic you can read the original-thread in ubuntuforums.org:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6416416#post6416416

So why I am here is because i am interested in the DELL Ubuntu-Image for the Mini12 and also what DELL has to say on that .

7 Posts

December 26th, 2008 22:00

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04

12 Posts

December 27th, 2008 05:00

Thanks for the link but that does not fit to the mini 12

3 Posts

January 1st, 2009 16:00

So where can I download trhe Dell Mini   ubuntu 8.04 image?

12 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 05:00

At the Moment it seems there is no image from DELL for the Mini 12. Look at the ubuntuforums thread i posted above, there are the instructions how to install hardy or intrepid.

Nobody from DELL here in the forums who can tell us anything about it?

5 Posts

January 5th, 2009 19:00

I have the Mini 12 with Ubuntu preinstalled, and it rocks. Six web pages, synaptic, and Skype with no lag :)

The USB image is on the Ubuntu recovery CD but it is not an "install" it just partitions the HD and puts the factory image in place. (back up your files)

The File on the CD is "belmont-ym-stable-install-usb-20081121-0.img" if that helps your search. Dell support is really really bad. They should have differed everything to Canonical. That I would have gladly upgraded to!!!!!

12 Posts

January 6th, 2009 02:00

Can you upload that image? I can give you an ftp, or you can upload it to Rapidshare. That should all be free software, or not?

Can you tell a bit more? Ubuntu 8.04.2? Does Compiz work? Architecture lpia or 386?
And could you please post your xorg.conf?

5 Posts

January 6th, 2009 14:00

Not all free software. Ships with the Fluendo codecs and Vadec1.  xorg.conf is all "configured" stuff. Compiz is enabled but I can't get extra eyecandy to work. lpia architecture

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"    "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
    Driver        "mouse"
    Option        "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver        "synaptics"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
    Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
    Option        "Protocol"        "auto-dev"
    Option        "SHMConfig"        "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
    Option        "UseFBDev"        "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
    Screen        "Default Screen"
    InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

As far as version uname gives

Linux ubuntumini12 2.6.24-19-lpia #1 SMP Mon Nov 3 15:25:26 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

12 Posts

January 7th, 2009 01:00

So is there any chance you can send me this image to my FTP?

That would be really very nice!

1 Message

January 8th, 2009 08:00

hello,

i am also interested in the ubuntu image.

dell, please make it downloadable.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2009 05:00

Same here. I bought my Mini 12 with Vista before Ubuntu was available as an option. Vista runs too slowly and I want to try Ubuntu. Downlaoding from the Ubuntu site, both versions 8.0.4 and 8.10, neither will boot on the mini 12. I understand there are certain special modifications Dell made to the OS to make it compatible with the Mini 12.

Dell: Please make Ubuntu available to download for the Mini 12. Is there any way for existing Mini 12 users to get a copy of Ubuntu on CD/DVD?

12 Posts

January 13th, 2009 07:00

Just wanted to say that it is possible to install Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 without the Dell Image.In 8.10 it is not possible to get stable 3D in X, so perhaps you should choose 8.04.

I have 8.10 installed but disabled 3D because of its instability but also i dont really need it.

Please check the thread on ubuntuforums.org i mentioned in an earlier post.

One of the guys over there has proposed to remove the licensed stuff (fluendo codecs e.g.) from the distribution, so it should be possible to share it.

But, i also would like to see DELL providing their Ubuntu-Image here.

No Events found!