Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2010 01:00

No wireless on Dell 1545 - Help

Hello,

I had wrecked my previous installation of Ubuntu 10.04 by fiddling with the wireless setup. I tried everyting (ndiswrapper, linuxwireless.org, hardware drivers option in ubuntu) but nothing worked.

I formatted my HD and installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit. Running the following command:

lspci -vnn | grep 14e4

gave the output "14e4:4315". As I understand this chip is supported by b43 driver, I installed the b43 driver via Administration/Hardware drivers.

Now, after a couple of restarts, it is still not connecting to wireless, with various issues.

-Sometimes no wireless networks are detected.
-After a couple of restarts, it detects the wireless but fails in authentication (I have several other devices attached to the router and know the password I am giving is correct).
-In other scenarios, it would try to connect (and both of the network connection "lights" on the status icon would light up) but then it would say "disconnected".

-Sometimes, it would connect to the wireless network but no data transfer takes place. There is no internet connection. Looking at the basic internet connection properties, it is picking up the IP and the primary route OK but still no internet.

Please help as I am at my wits end. I have not made any changes to the fresh ubuntu setup aside from installed the b43 driver.

Many thanks in advance.

7 Posts

July 11th, 2010 17:00

You did not include enough of that lspci line for most people to tell what it is from memory.  Is it BCM4312?

I don't know whether Broadcom STA or Broadcom B43 works better in 10.04.  But when I had an Inspiron 1545 while setting it up for someone and temporarily installed 64-bit 9.10, the Broadcom STA driver worked great.  Note that wireless ends up as an eth device instead of wlan device, but Network Configuration knows what it is and "iwlist scan" should show wireless networks once it is activated.  If Broadcom B43 works, that would be a wlan device.

No Events found!