Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2008 20:00

Temperature Monitor of CPU/HD etc

Anyone know of something that works monitoring temps?

I've tried http://www.xawk.com/ubuntu-cpu-temperature.html but it doesn't work?

25 Posts

August 10th, 2008 14:00

A few years ago I tried to get a temperature monitoring program to work on a Dell desktop, and was told that the motherboard didn't support that type of application. I'm assuming that meant it didn't have any temperature sensors, and that may be why you can't get that program to work.

I

21 Posts

August 10th, 2008 14:00

Thanks - I tried an OS program but it wasn't compatible - in the end the whole thing was too much trouble and fiddly (and not really any cheaper than windows, whih I could then remove/dual boot) so I sent it back :smileysad:

17 Posts

August 13th, 2008 10:00

Why? :-D ACPI doesnt recognize thermal readings on dell laptops (at least not on my vostro 1310) but i managed to work it out. Install lm-sensors utility and hardware monitor applet for gnome. In console as root type sensors--detect. Follow instructions (generally answer YES to everything) and it will detect core2duo  as isa! lol thermal probing device. The rest is easy, add to panel hardware monitor and set it up to read cpu temperature for both cores, u can read cpu load in percentage, cpu speed, network activity drive free space... I love conky but i wasnt able to read cpu temp even with modifying conkyrc script (could work with i8k kernel driver for dell laptops but havent tested it). Have a sized screenshot:

desktop screenshot

21 Posts

August 13th, 2008 11:00

Thanks CB - but I think I tried your solution - but after all the yeses nothing was detected - my CPU wasn't a C2D - maybe that was it. I'm not giving up for ever - just on that PC. I'll try again with Open Source in 6 months or a year.

I''ve been playing with it ever since LX came out to see if it was "ready" - and for me its still not quite there. But I have great respect for the pioneers like you who are pushing the frontiers.

17 Posts

August 13th, 2008 14:00

OMG! Im so sorry man, i havent followed your link in your first post... No biggie, just took me some time to remember that i didnt tried with lm-sensors that worked just fine on finding thermal readouts on my ex nforce2 based mainboard. Have you tried with typing "acpi -t" ? If it says no support for device thermal then only thing that cross my mind is recompiling the kernel source with turning on support for everything that is thermal related... Hope u'll "make" it, rofl!
No Events found!