Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 16th, 2018 10:00

XPS 15 9570 and Ubuntu

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 and I initially had several problems that I finally figured out how to solve (so far).  I thought some people might appreciate a synopsis of the issues I've experienced and my methods of solving them.

• The issue with Killer WiFi is well documented and I found that simply installing the latest linux firmware did the trick quite nicely.  In the link provided, be sure to examine the list of available firmware downloads. Be warned: they are not sorted in any clear order so you will need to carefully examine the dates posted to find the most current driver.
  • Installing the latest Nvidia drivers was necessary to get my desktop GUI up and running.  I had to boot into the terminal and then follow the process detailed here.
  • My biggest issue came with the advanced power management.  First, my XPS would randomly shut down either when running on battery or plugged in with the simple adapter but not when plugged in to the TB16 dock.  Second, booting up and shutting down was taking for ever and third, the fans would randomly come on at full blast under very light processing load.  I've listed all these issues in a single bullet point because the resolution was tied together.  After some investigation I found that by removing the "quiet splash" and adding "acpi_osi=Linux" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line both provided a very useful output of all the processes being run and resolved all my issues with boot and power management.

I'm bummed Project Sputnik only had 13 inch XPS laptops with native Ubuntu installed otherwise I might have gone that direction.  But things seem to be working well and I'm getting the performance I want.  I'm hopeful that new Linux kernels and maybe some firmware updates from Dell can help optimize my experience further.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2018 09:00

Hi there,

I run Ubuntu Budgie, works perfect, except for long startup/shutdown times, and no standby/hibernate.

Best,

Henrik

1 Message

September 30th, 2018 15:00

Got my XPS 15 9570 last week. I installed ubuntu 18.04 (actually KDE Neon) and after the installation I run the following tweak script. I'm using my laptop for almost a week and everything is working without issues.

What Works
- Atheros Wifi
- Audio
- Audio on HDMI
- HDMI ( even on lid closed )
- Nvidia/Intel graphic cards switch
- Keyboard backlight
- Display brightness
- Sleep/wake on Intel
- Sleep/wake on nVidia

What Doesn't Work
- Fingerprint sensor

https://github.com/JackHack96/dell-xps-9570-ubuntu-respin/blob/master/xps-tweaks.sh

October 27th, 2018 09:00

Hi,

same here, KDE Neon (based on Ubuntu 18.04) dual boot with Win 10, everything works good,
except for the fingerprint reader, but the fan constantly is turning off/on every few seconds,
very annoying ... anybody out there who can help me ?

Thx in advance,

MiXiM

November 5th, 2018 04:00

Hey Dell, 

Please keep Sputnik flying and Support New xps 15! I am happy to throw my money at you if you help is to have a proper OS running on xps 15.

:-)

And thanks to everyone for the hints in here! 

November 21st, 2018 07:00

What wifi speed are you getting with speedtest.net? I tried killer 1535, intel 9260, intel 8265, and they all work but I can never get more than 25 mbp/s. Even though my 5 year old macbook can get 80 mbp/s, and on the same laptop with windows i can get 80 mbp/s also. Does everyone settle for less optimal speed or not notice it, or is there something wrong with my setup?

2 Posts

December 4th, 2018 12:00

I have installed Ubuntu 18.10 on the 9570 this evening and this is what I had to do to make it work:

• First update BIOS and all firmware and drivers in Windows
  • Shrink the Windows partition by 100GB to make room for Ubuntu
  • Reboot and disable Secure Boot, set Thunderbolt Security to "No security" and change disk type from "RAID" to "AHCI" in BIOS
  • Install Ubuntu, but on hitting "Restart Now" the computer freezes and I have to hold the on/off button for 10+ seconds to turn it on
  • On reboot, hit "e" on the GRUB screen and add the following kernel parameters "nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau" and hit Ctrl+X to boot with these params
  • On successful boot, add the same parameters to /etc/default/grub and run "update-grub"
  • Install tlp and run "systemctl enable tlp"

The computer now runs nicely with 5-7W power dissipation on light surfing with screen brightness at 30% (aka couch-mode), all keyboard function keys work and I get 6 ms ping + 300Mbit/s up and down from speedtest.net( (basically identical to Windows) using the Killer 1535, no instability issues so far. There seems to be issues with Bluetooth (dmesg says "Bluetooth: hci0: last event is not cmd complete (0x0f)"), I look into that later. I will also try connecting to my TB16 tomorrow at work and report back how that fares.

Update: Everything works on the TB16 except audio and sometimes flaky(?) ethernet.

Update: Bluetooth audio to external speaker works well.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 00:00

Also experiencing unstable ethernet connection with the XPS 15, Ubuntu 18.04 and Tb16 combination. 

At startup ethernet works fine, notification shows 3 connected blocks . But after a while a questionmark shows up in the icon although everything still works fine. Then sometimes the connection fails and won't come back only after rebooting.

Another small issue is that at startup, after about 30 seconds after logging in, the screen goes black for a couple of minutes, 2 to 3 times.

Windows (dualboot) works fine with the thunderbolt, updated all drivers, bios etc.

Anybody a suggestion?

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 01:00

@Aak2: The TB16 ethernet issues are fixed in latest kernel of Ubuntu 18.10. Relevant patch: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/0b1655143df00ac5349f27b765b2ed13a3ac40ca

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 04:00

@oddbjornk  thanks for the reply.

I installed latest kernel available (4.20.3-042003-generic) which seems to have solved both issues. The screen doesn't turn black short after startup any more and the ethernet-connection seems stable as well so far.

Only the icon still shows a disconnected ethernet ( questionmark.png) , no problem, just a bit confusing:.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2019 05:00

Make sure that you set the wired connection to 100 Mb/sec - the Gb interface is the one that has an issue.

1 Message

March 10th, 2019 23:00

Make sure that Secure Boot is disabled in BIOS since the drivers are unsigned. I was getting the same error in my case.

6 Posts

March 12th, 2019 03:00

@pwaterz wrote:

Update your kernel to the latest. I'm running 4.18.3, also make sure you have nouveau.modeset=0 in your /etc/default/grub. I had the same issue and the kernel was going into a endless panic trying to sleep the processor cores. Disabling nouveau driver fixed this issue.

Does one still have to append the lines:
nouveau.modeset=0
in /etc/default/grub

Even though one is not using noveau as the graphics driver for the 1050Ti card on the 9570?

6 Posts

March 12th, 2019 03:00

@ouq77 wrote:

Any suggestions getting suspend to work again after S3 was removed from the 1.3.x BIOS? My laptop nearly caught on fire in my backpack earlier this week. I'm now having to shut it down before packing it away l.

Could anyone verify that the computer can be put to sleep without issues on Linux with a running BIOS is higher than version 1.3 (Dell removed S3 after 1.3)?

2 Posts

July 18th, 2019 18:00

How is your setup holding up? I am considering doing the same...

1 Message

September 3rd, 2019 17:00

I'm running ubuntu 19.04 on the XPS 15 with no issues except the fingerprint sensor.  I do need to do some more testing. 

It would be nice if Nvidia helped out with the automatic GPU switching.  I am going to test an eGPU soon and my Dell dock sometime this week when I get back to the office.

No Events found!