Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2011 13:00

installing ubuntu on dell mini9

I have a mini 9 that has ubuntu 8.04 on it.  For various reasons, i would like to wipe my computer clean and install a new version of ubuntu on it.  I realize that the version of 8.04 that came with my computer was a version configured to the particular chip on this computer and have read references to compatibility problems if installing ubuntu versions that are not designed for the Dell.  I also have no experience installing ubuntu from a flash drive, which is what I am thinking I will have to do. I am moderately computer savvy, but not particularly Linux savvy.  So a couple of questions:

1. What version of ubuntu should I be using to minimize problems and where best to download it from?

2. I am sure I can poke around and find instructions for installing Ubuntu off a flash drive - but if someone can direct me to a good set of such instructions it will be a time saver.

3. Any other advice to simplify this task?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 28th, 2011 17:00

There is no reason not to try Ubuntu 11.04

3 Posts

July 29th, 2011 07:00

I've the same problems as Char47.  Would be VERY grateful for answers to those questions ;-)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 29th, 2011 08:00

You can install UBUNTU on the SD slot in the mini9 with the utility from :

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

You can also install it on a plug and stay flash drive like the ECHO ZE

3 Posts

July 29th, 2011 09:00

SpeedStep: Thanks & noted.  I'll give it a try. But probably not 'til next wk - one of those Fridays! ;-)

No Events found!